Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping while BF-how to increase EBM supply

Default Pumping while BF-how to increase EBM supply

Hello !

Am a new mom to 5 week old boy. I had to supplement BF with formula as he lost > 10% of weight and got jaundice to boot.He has gotten over these initial bumps in the road and is doing well. I BF every 2 hours on average. Now I would like to get him off the formula by giving him some pumped milk if I need to
    My questions:
    1. How can I fit in pumping to stock pile some milk when I am nursing him so often
    2.I only get 2 ounces (total ) when I pump . Is that too low?
    3. Am using the Medela pump in style. Should I be using a hospital grade instead to increase my milk expression?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! And may I say that this forum has been a godsend to a newbie mom with lots of worries/guilt etc etc

Thanks
    Priya

Default Re: Pumping while BF-how to increase EBM supply

congrats on your baby boy. we went thru the jaundice, weight too.
    I use the pump in style. you're still establishing your supply. the amt ofmilk will increase as baby gets older. I was amazed how quickly I went from 1-2 oz to 3-4 & SOMETIMES 5! try to pump for 15 min in the am after feeding and before bed. that should get you on your way.

Being able to pump 2 oz on top of nursing full time is excellent! At every two hours you are nursing 12 times per day. Many mothers find that nursing between 8 and 12 times per day ensures that baby really packs on the weight. Nursing on demand and increased offering will do more for your supply that additional pumping. Generally speaking the more you remove the more you make.

It is normal for a baby to drop weight after they are born. What was your babies lowest weight? What is bb now? For example, my baby was born at 7-15 oz, and dropped ten oz. Totally ok, no supplementing needed. In some cases doctor's don't have all the latest information on breast fed babies, and in the process of trying to be helpful, they may hinder the breastfeeding couple's experience. I am wondering about the reason you were told to supplement? What is your feeling about it?

It sounds like you are worried about your milk supply; I want to encourage you and tell you that it seems like you are doing great. Can you tell us how many wet/poopy diapers you see in 24 hours and how much formula you are giving your LO?

also i dont think u said the reason to pump? i mean are u going back to work or are u a SAHM?

Thanks for the replies!

having posted this yesterday, the dear child started eating every 45minutes and has been bothered by a ton of gas and restlessness (hopefully its a growth spurth?)

He is having plenty of wet diapers and poops. and gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks.

I am pumping because I have to return to work in 6 weeks full time. Also to have a bottle ready to supplement when we are out / at night to give mommy a nap longer than 1 hour :-)

Please tell me there are others our there whose babies eat this often?

yeah its normal for them to want to nurse alot..
    its more then just about food.
    Most newborns need to nurse up to12 times in 24 hours to get the weight gain they need.
    have you talked to your local LLL leader?
    she can help you figure out when to pump when you go back to work.

This is my story, too! Only add in tongue-tied! Although, bad mommy that I am, I refused to supplement when the night nurse told me that I "had" to. I told her I would wait for a doctor to see my son, and for us to work out a plan with the LC. She told me my son would end up in NICU! So, after the dispute she didn't bring me pain meds (after a c-section) . I could literally feel my milk coming in that night...

The next day I agreed after meeting with the LC who said, "We'll play the game".....I said no bottles (only syringes), only Neosure (hey, they wanted high calories!), and I wanted a pump to help. Anderson would only take 10 cc after nursing, and he only took the formula twice....then he just started spitting it all back out!

Anyway....now he's even nursing just like your LO. Except in the evening, he wants to nurse constantly. I am pumping after he eats around 8 am....and today got 4 oz (first time). I'm using the Avent Isis IQ Duo. I used the Pump in Style with my twins (SIL didn't return it until this weekend....long story there), and I never pumped well with it. I was only getting a couple ounces, and my twins nursed for 14 months! I know I was making more than that!

So, I'm doing the "second" feeding of the day (ignoring anything that is before 4 am as daytime LOL), and he often only does one side then...then I pump both sides and combine the bottle. Then, sometimes I'll pump again if he only does one side. But it's hard to work it in with the older twins.

I guess we're not alone!

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)