Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling and leaving infant at home with pumped milk....

Default Traveling and leaving infant at home with pumped milk....

I am debating taking a trip cross-country for 1-2 days and leaving my 3 month old at home with my husband and bottled breast milk. My question is: will this disrupt my daughter's wonderful nursing habits that we have established? She is a great nurser and I am worried that by my being gone for 36-48 hours, she will "forget" how to nurse and will get too accustomed to the bottle. Is this an issue or do you think it is okay for me to leave her for this period of time with breast milk that I will have pumped for her? THANK YOU.

Default Re: Traveling and leaving infant at home with pumped milk....

I can't really offer advice on this one, but just what I have seen with other babies. Maybe this will make you feel better about it:
    One of my closest friends here had twins and struggled with production for the first few months so had to give bottles and pump a lot. She also had one of hers tongue tied and had hard time latching so also found bottle helpful for him. Because of all the bottles, she always worried that they would become bottle lovers and forget about the breast...
    We found that the reality was, they ALWAYS wanted the breast when it was offered. Even after a full day or two of bottles.
    I think by 3 mo, you probably have a well established pattern and she will be giddy when you return home! If you need/want the break, I say take it! However, if you feel uncomfortable about it, maybe it is not worth the stress?!

I forgot to ask, how does your lo do with the bottle? Does she seem to take it without a problem?

Hello,

in my experience it depends on the child and you don't know until you try.
    Perhaps you can try to do both a little earlier than the departure to see whether she can easily get accustomed to the bottle.

Is it unthinkable for you to take your daughter with you and nurse her when you can instead of letting your husband give her the bottle for all her meals?

Could your husband come with you and bottle-feed her when you can't nurse her yourself?

mammadijames

I vote to go on the trip. Nothing is better for our LO's than a well rested and happy momma! 1-2 days isn't a long time especially if your baby is already 3 months. Just make sure your baby will take the bottles from your hubby before you go, sometimes they can be funny about it.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09