Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Need Help...Confused

Default I Need Help...Confused

Hello All..

Have a 10 day old baby boy..

He seems very sleepy to me, and as of late has been sleeping 3 hours at a stretch. I have to wake him up in order to be fed. He will nurse 5 mins max, fall asleep, .. I try to wake him up, tickling, taking off clothes etc..nothing. My breasts are not emptying as they should.. One side is completley full, and painful.I pump out this unused side and so far have been discarding..

The used breast..what should I do? He wants to nurse sometimes right after his initial feeding, so i put him back on the first breast. I am now trying to get him to empty this breast so he can get the hindmilk..

The side that is not being used..should I leave as is? Should I pump out, or what? It feels engorged since he will not so far drink from both sides.. If i pump out, then he wants to come back and nurse, will I still ahve milk left in the breast?

He was born weighing 7lbs 6 oz, had an appt yesterday and he weighed 7lbs 4oz at 10 days old.. He will have a follow up next week, which will show if he is gaining enough ...

He has already pooped 3 diapers today,and I am talking pretty full diapers..peeing seems ok..though when i check his middle of night diaper, it seems dry.. He differs on a day to day basis..

I was not successful at nursing with my other children as I doubted my milk supply..I am deternmined to win here, and wnat to nurse at all costs..

Any insight would be much appreciated..

Thanks in advance

A doubtful Mom..

Default Re: I Need Help...Confused

Welcome to the boards, Ahusa. It's great to have you here. I hope you can find the advice you need to make BF successful for you this time around.

First of all, it is totally normal for babies to be really really sleepy for the first few weeks and you are right to be concerned about him getting enough if he is always falling asleep. Something that really helped me make sure my babe was getting enough was breast compressions. Here's a link that might help. The basic idea is that when LO falls asleep, you squeeze some more milk into their mouth, waking them up and reminding them to suck a little more. You may also need to keep LO undressed and keep tickling him to keep him awake long enough to get a good feeding.

If diaper output is good and you feel that LO is hydrated and full, then he is probably getting enough. You know your baby best.

Best wishes as you begin the wonderful journey of BF!

I know this doesn't address your concern about if your baby is eating enough, but ending up with a huge over supply is not a good issue, either. Are you switching which side you start with each time so that your baby is nursing from each breast every other time? On the side he doesn't take, just pump enough to make it comfortable. If you completely pump the unused side, you are giving your body the message that you need that milk and your body will continue to make enough milk to feed twins. Even if you "empty" your breast, it is never truly empty b/c milk is always being made so your lo will always get something.

From the output, it sounds like your baby is getting enough. Some babies are pretty efficient at the breast. It sounds like maybe his sleepiness is new? Was he eating more frequently right before the sleepiness? The reason I ask is b/c 7-10 days is often a growth spurt and DS always slept a lot for a couple of days after a growth spurt.

Thanks for the replies..

I was not sure whether to switch sides or not.. I will do that at the next feeding.

I believe he was feeding more frequently as of a few days ago..and maybe this does attribute to a growth spurt..

Last night for example, he slept for 4 hours straight; i woke up, checked on him, woke him up , in order to feed him. He fed 10 mins, and was fast asleep again for the next 2 hours..

Is it ok for him to sleep for so long..well i am a sleep deprived mom at the moment and was knocked out!!

Is it ok to not nurse for a 4 hour period? Will this hamper the milk supply?

i feel engorgement in the unused side, therefore, the pumping.I will pump less next time to relieve the pressure.. and see what ahppens from there.

Breasts feel soft most of the time, that worries me that I am low on milk..

He does not look dehydrated to me at all.. Next week i will know how he has been doing..

Thanks

Ahusa

Quote Originally Posted by Ahusa View Post

Is it ok for him to sleep for so long..well i am a sleep deprived mom at the moment and was knocked out!!

Is it ok to not nurse for a 4 hour period? Will this hamper the milk supply?
    They usually have a period out of the day were they would sleep for about 4 hrs. If it's during the day, I will wake him, but at night, I let him sleep!!! This should not mess with your supply. But i think everyone is different
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Congratulations on your little one!
    Both my kiddos were sleepy, sleepy at this age. Very difficult to rose to feed for a few weeks...I would definitely recommend alternating the first breast offered at each feed. If still interested, offer the other side afterward. This will keep things more evened out. Pump for a few minutes if you are uncomfortable....That young, I nursed ANYtime I thought they MIGHT be interested..do you have some help at home with your other little ones? I let anyone who offered help come over and entertain 2 year old when our 4.5 mo. was so little.

did you stay you were dumping the milk??? Dude!! Keep it!! Buy some of breastmilk storage containers at your next grocery visit..it'll be fine frozen for 6 -12 months..who knows when you might need it between now and then.

As for the sleeping, the lactation pro at our hospital told me to wake baby for a feed every 3 hours during the night....yes, it's exhausting, but these days go quickly...and I followed the advice of a breastfeeding pediatrician friend (yes, I mean, SHE BF'd all 3 of her kids extensively) who says to not wake them at night at 5 weeks...

You'll feel better at the weigh in next week. Both of mine lost weight initially first few days too. Keep us posted.
    If you're interested, I have loved Dr. Sears' Breastfeeding Book when I just didn't know what to do sometimes with our first..very practical info. that seems related to the questions you are asking.

I have exclusively bf all of my lo's. 5 minutes does not sound like enough. I would nurse the first 5-10 min on one side burp your lo and switch sides and do the same thing. You do want to use both sides, whether you nurse one feeding exclusively on one side then next feeding use the other side. I have never had a baby care which side they were feed on, even when I've had breast infections.
    When babies are new they tend to be a little sleepy. Wake your lo every two hours to eat during the day and at night its ok to go longer. It's a blessing when they begin sleeping longer stretches at night. But if your little one wakes feed him.