Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Air Travel with BM

Default Air Travel with BM

I'm the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding in NYC this Sept. DS will be 4 MO at the time and I know there will be many times I can't be there to BF him and he will have to take a EBM bottle. My parents are coming with me and my mom is going to be helping me with it.

Of course I'm going to BF as much as possible but the night of the wedding DP and I are going to take the whole night to ourselves while my parents watch DS. I'm SOOOOOO excited (hello fun night in a hotel w/o baby whohoo)! Anyways, that's going to be about 12 hours w/o BF'ing. I am going to bring my pump to the wedding and there's a place for me to pump during it.

Here are my questions.

* How much EBM can I bring on the airplane? Will they allow me to bring a cooler?
    * Anyone ever bring frozen EBM on an airplane? Is there a way to check it in with the luggage in a soft cooler with dry ice for it to stay frozen?

I just know it will be impossible for me to pump enough once I get there and I will need to bring most of the supply with me. I need help on this one!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Default Re: Air Travel with BM

TSA recently changed their rules - now there is no limit on the amount of EBM you can bring on the plane.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm

TSA is also modifying the rules associated with carrying breast milk through security checkpoints. Mothers flying with, and now without, their child will be permitted to bring breast milk in quantities greater than three ounces as long as it is declared for inspection at the security checkpoint.

Breast milk is in the same category as liquid medications. Now, a mother flying without her child will be able to bring breast milk through the checkpoint, provided it is declared prior to screening.
    I *think* that blue ice type packs would be ok because EBM is considered a medical need - but you probably want to check.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.
    I traveled with EBM before the new rule. I had the EBM in storage containers in a soft-sided cooler. I had ice in ziplock type bags and dumped the ice right before we went through security. Once were were through security I got more ice from Starbucks or wherever. We didn't have ANY problems getting ice for free when we explained it was to keep EBM cold.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: Air Travel with BM

There are limits to how much dry ice you can pack, whether on the plane or checked in your luggage - it has to be declared as a dangerous good. It is probably easier to get regular ice.