Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Production & Pumping

Default Low Production & Pumping

My son will not take to my breasts and even with at nipple shield, he will not stay on for long. It frustrates us both. I've been pumping now for 23 days (since I bought the Medela pump from the LC, 3 days after my son's birth). Thus far, I only get 5.5 oz a day. Shouldn't I be getting more by now? I'm also on fenugreek and blessed thistle now for 1 week but I don't see a difference. Everything I've read says I should see a difference in 3-5 days.

It's very discouraging to think that I won't physically breastfeed now and that my son's only hope at MY milk is via pumping and it's low w/ no signs of increasing.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'd like to stay positive and hang in there, but it's really disheartening.

Thanks.
    Whogirl29

Default Re: Low Production & Pumping

Thanks, I've actually read all of the articles/links you've sent me before now. I'm an avid researcher and I've read almost everything on the Internet thus far in search of some help, but as you can see by that one article, I'm still not where I'm supposed to be regarding the 5.5 oz I have to work really hard at producing a day :

Aim for pumping 750-800 mL (25-27 oz) per day by 7-10 days postpartum.

If supply is borderline (350-500 ml / 11-17 oz) or low (less than 350 ml / 11 oz), then galactagogues (prescription meds or herbs to increase supply) or other interventions should be considered.

The research tells us that milk production at 2 weeks is an indicator of breastfeeding outcome, --many moms will see an increase (even as late as 9-15 weeks after birth) if they continue with regular pumping.

This last advice from the article is all I have to hold on to right now, to just keep at it...9 to 15 weeks after birth, it's still possible to increase my supply.

Thanks so much.

There is something called power pumping that my LC recommended to help increase supply. You pump for 10mins then take a 10min break. This is done for 1 hour and should help with your supply. HTH.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Hi and thanks so much. Yes, I've read all about power pumping and tried it for 2 days but it left my nipples extremely sore, cracked and bleeding (so much so that blood was expressed into my milk bottle!). My nipples are still recovering from it.

I will try again this coming Monday and see how it goes. It didn't seem to increase my milk supply at all though, but I'm hopeful that something's got to give, ladies. :-)

You could try hand expression in combination with your pumping efforts. Here's one method:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    And another:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

Keep going, mama! It's worth it.

Thanks, now this one I hadn't heard or read about! :-) I've started doing this in the shower b/c I read the emptier the breast, the more milk you can produce. I appreciate your post!

Take care!
    whogirl29

It sounds like you have all the information you need. I just want to offer support. After struggling with supply I am finally able to BF my son without supplements. I just started having success last week and my LO is 11 weeks old. For me a combination of nursing frequently, having my LO's tongue tie fixed, pumping like a mad women and prescription medications helped. I never thougth I would be at this point, but persistence was well worth it. Maybe your body just needs time and a little help.

Have you checked out the increasing your milk forum?

Hang in there!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.