Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: zantac

Default zantac

my pediatrician prescribed zantac today. i read the warnings and all that very carefully, and it suggests some possible dietary restrictions to make the drug work better. my question is this: if i eliminate those foods, will the drug work better for my ds? also, any tips on how to give him the medicine? most of it didn't make it into his mouth.

Default Re: zantac

Could you try mixing it with a little ebm? Maybe he'd like the taste better that way.

My daughter has been on Zantac for the past 3 months and I have found that if I put the syringe farther back in her mouth and dispense it slowly, she takes it pretty well. Also, I don't know if you use a pacifier (I do), but if you do, have it handy and once you put the meds in his mouth, pop the pacifier in. The pacifier helped my daughter swallow the meds. I don't know if you've tasted the Zantac, but it is not very tasty. It works incredibly well for reflux, though. Good luck!

my preemie is on zantac and before leaving the hospital the nurse told me to mis it with a little breast milk.... i have a miniture bottle, made for giving medicine, and i pour a little bm in there then add the zantac and feed it to my ds just like any other bottle, he sucks it right down....

Hi there, my ds was also on Zantac and gagged so bad the first time that he took it he threw up. Later on he got used to it and actually enjoyed taking it. Since then he has been weaned off of it and is doing very well, At my last appointment my dr said that there is a grape flavored zantac, sure wish that they had that when ds had to take it. I would def look into the flavored one. About the diet restrictions, he was just on BM at the time.

Question Re: zantac

My baby is only 3 weeks old. Is Zantac safe? What about the side effects? I feel she is too young, but I am also very concern. She cries all the time and I know if because of the acid

Ask your pediatrician about it.
    There is a liquid form, for babies...
    My preemie was on zantac before he ever left the hospital to come home, so yes, i'd say its safe. I eventually took him off of it when he was old enough to have rice cereal in his bottles (not alot but enough to keep it down better)

jsut ask the doc