Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do you know if it's depression?

Default how do you know if it's depression?

so how do you know if it's really depression or just mood affected by lack of sleep? I know my mood gets more unstable when I don't sleep well, cranky, irritible, crying and such. But I still have bad days when I feel caught up on sleep. any suggestions?

Default Re: how do you know if it's depression?

well...there are the "baby blues" that normally don't last for more than a few days before you feel like yourself again. if it lasts for a couple of weeks or longer, you can't sleep, or sleep all the time, change in eating habbits (too much or too little) don't want to go out and do anything, feel a little disconnected to baby or family/friends, and your grooming habbits have changed it could be PP Depression.

Sleep deprevation can definately onset PP Depression. Try to sleep when the baby sleeps, and ask for help from anyone available. Good luck.

footnote: There are safe meds to take for PPD and breastfeeding. So don't feel like you're trapped.

Best thing to do is talk to your family doc, and ask their opinion. Post-partum depression can manifest itself in different ways for different people, so if you just don`t feel right, talk to your doc. For me, it was more than just being cranky and tearful. I would bawl for no real reason, feel helpless and useless and I would also have these panic attacks whenever I left my babe for even a few mins, so I knew something wasn`t right. Trust your gut and seek help.

It is also important to know that you can get PPD months after being fine. I have been talking to my DH and my doc alot because they are concerned that I have a little PPD but I think it is more related to work. Just be sure to talk to someone - talk to your LO too. Mine is 10 months and a great listener.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk