Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cleaning pump at work?

Question Cleaning pump at work?

I'm going to be pumping at work soon and am wondering what you all do to clean your pump at work. I saw the medela wipes.....expensive! Do baby wipes work the same or am I going to be bringing some dawn dish soap to work? TIA

Default Re: Cleaning pump at work?

Hi,

I like to use the Medela wipes when traveling. One solution to the time it takes to clean everything is to put everything in a baggie in the refrigerator until next time. Be sure to let it warm up a bit before you get started! Brrr...

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha View Post
    put everything in a baggie in the refrigerator until next time
    This is what I do! I put on empty bottles, put the "horns" with bottles in a clean ziplock style bag, then put it into a non-see through plastic bag into the fridge at work. People at my office are good about not getting into other peoples stuff in the fridge so it's never been an issue.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I have a Ameda Purely Yours - I just rinse/wash (not scrubbing) and then put into the fridge. Then I give them a good wash when I do the bottles for the next day.

Medela makes Micro-Steam bags!! They are like 9 bucks, 5 bags per box, each bag can be used 20 times. You can only put so much in the bag at a time, like 2 bottles or 2 shields. So each cleaning, you'd use the bag 2x. It's great for me because I'm an occasional pumper. Good luck!!

I keep a gentle dish soap at work and wash pretty much every time. I leave them at work to dry (we have a mother's room), and home on weekends for dishwasher run. If I can't wash, I leave them in the fridge. I also have a micro steam bag available if for some reason I feel that I need more.

the bags are great but they are for sterilizing, not cleaning. you still need to use soap and water. you may already know that, but it kind of sounded like you use them to clean...
    and even if you use them more often, they are still a good deal for quick and easy sterilizing. and i have found i can usually put a little more in the bag then they say. ie 3 shields instead of 2...

the wipes are really handy. i actually tear mine in half to double the quantity for the price. it says on the package they are tested to be safe for cleaning pump acc... if you did baby wipes make sure they are gentle ones. some are scratchy.

I use water and dish soap. I don't have a place to let them set out and dry so I hand dry them with washclothes or paper towels. When I get home I wash them again and let them air dry overnight before I grab them the next morning to do it all over it again. I got a Medela steam bag from our LC (I work at a hospital) but she said they were a waste of money as money docs no longer recommend sterilizing, just washing with soap and water. But they are mighty convenient.

so if you just use the fridge, how do you pump more than once at work?