Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions with weaning...

Default Questions with weaning...

Hi, I just posted this on extended breastfeeding before I saw this msg. board regarding weaning...so sorry for posting again but was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.. I am trying to wean my 15 month old. He throws tantrums and screams, gets very upset if I refuse to nurse. He is still nursing during the night as well. He drinks from a cup and eats solids...but I think nurses for comfort. I am ready to be done! I've been pregnant/breastfeeding my youngest two for over 3 years since they are so close in age. I've also had some health issues that would require me to start on medication that I can not as long as I am nursing...so the sooner i can stop the better...but I always give in to him...I can't stand to see him upset. Also..is it normal to have not started my menstrual cycle yet? I've not started at all since giving birth and I did by 5 months w/ my other children even though I nursed them too (just not as long as this time around) Thanks for any suggestions. ela

Default Re: Questions with weaning...

Ela, congratulations to you for nursing to this point! What a wonderful start you've given your little boy!

Some mothers don't get their menstrual cycle back until their baby is completely weaned...and it can vary from child to child.

This is an amazing book that covers weaning indepth and has a variety of suggestions for weaning babies of different ages:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/books/weaning.html

Default Re: Questions with weaning...

I don't want to second-guess your need to wean, but I just always wonder when I hear of a situation like this about the child's needs. I mean, children at 15 months don't manipulate, and I'm inclined to interpret that response as a legitimate need to nurse -- and I think nursing for comfort is a valid reason to nurse. For sure nutrition used to be the main thing, but for toddlers there is so much uncertainty and stimulation in their days that one of their biggest needs is the calm and familiar and protection that they get from nursing. That said, there are other ways to provide for those needs - and if you have to go on medications then you have to do it.