Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LC out-of-country...PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: LC out-of-country...PLEASE HELP!

Her latch is getting better and a lot wider. If her lips aren't flanged when she initially latches on, I can usually get them there myself. I still don't feel the let down...is that normal? I usually start leaking out of the other breast when she's nursing. I am also pumping a lot less than I was before...is that normal? (She's four weeks old today)

Yeah, it's okay to "reposition" her after she's latched if SHE doesn't mind it She'll get the hang of it eventually. Some women don't feel their letdowns, but the fact that you leak on the opposite side, definitely is a good sign that you're having one!

And yes, it's probably normal to be pumping less--your body is probably regulating more to her needs. Remind me again why you're pumping? Are you planning to go back to work?
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

No, I am staying at home. But since she's not been latching on correctly, I wanted to make sure that my milk supply stayed up. I also wanted to have a little bit of milk saved up for whenever my husband and I are able to go out and someone from my family watches the baby. I also have been saving in case the doctor tells me I need to supplement.

I used to pump about 5 ounces total after each feeding (I know...it's A LOT) after she had been on each breast for at least 15 minutes, and now I'm only pumping about 3 ounces total. I realize that's still a lot, but it just concerned me that it had gone down.

Wow, even 3 oz post-feeding is a lot, as you said. I wonder if you're not dealing with some oversupply because you've doing all the extra pumping. Oversupply can make it so your baby doesn't get as much of the higher-fat milk toward the end of the feeding session. I'd suggest you cut back or stop the pumping for a few days and see if that doesn't help her weight gain as well.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!