Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 mo. old has terrible gas!

Default 4 mo. old has terrible gas!

My four month old has terrible gas and is keeping me and himself up all night. He's always been a gassy baby, and when he was first born I cut out everything I could think of that would be causing him problems, caffeine, chocolate, tomatoes, green veggies, cabbage, dairy, etc. But around 3 months things seemed to be getting better, and I had gradually been introducing a few things again, like salads and a cup of coffee in the morning. Things went along fine - he was sleeping 8-10 hours at a stretch at night - until we moved across town, which was about a month ago. Since then, he's been waking two, three, sometimes five or six times a night. At first I thought it was just the upset of the move, but after a month it has only gotten worse, and I can hear him passing gas at night. When he wakes now, we have trouble getting him back to sleep. He'll fall asleep nursing, and then we set him in his crib, but 10 minutes later he's crying again. I've once again cut out dairy, chocolate, tomatoes, and am drinking decaf, but it still seems to be getting worse! Does anyone have suggestions? I've tried gripe water, simethicone, and am currently trying baby acidophilous. The gripe water helps for a bit, but he's up and in pain again in a couple of hours.

Default Re: 4 mo. old has terrible gas!

Have you tried wheat? I heard Dr Sears once say thats a big gas causer and also a cause for colic.....

you said that you once again cut out all of those foods you had cut out before...but how long has it been since you cut them out. Is it possible they aren't out of your system yet?

Hi, I am in the same boat. My girl just turned 4 months and her sleeping/gas had been really bad lately also. I was thinking maybe its just the 4 month growth spurt I keep hearing about? She is fussy, gassy, eating alot and not sleeping much. I wonder if its all part of her crazy growth etc... Some days she sleeps & eats great and others not. It gets so confusing and frustrating. Just wanted to say your not alone!

Has your LO just started showing any signs of teething? Mine started teething a couple weeks ago, and when it first started, he got really gassy for about a week. I think it's all the spit that they swallow. Anyway, just another idea to add to the list.

Dairy can take up to 8 weeks to leave your LO's system after you eliminate it from your diet, so be patient and stick with it to see if that helps. It could be a combination of everything, so just do your best

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    My girl just turned 4 months and her sleeping/gas had been really bad lately also. I was thinking maybe its just the 4 month growth spurt I keep hearing about? She is fussy, gassy, eating alot and not sleeping much. I wonder if its all part of her crazy growth etc... Some days she sleeps & eats great and others not.
    My daughter seemed the same before we found out she's intolerant to dairy, so maybe this could help you too. I could definately tell a difference in her depending on the amount of it I ate in a day! Once I eliminated it in my diet, those earthquake-like farts vanished and she's much less fussy!

I hadn't heard the 8-week figure for dairy, that's good to know. It's only been a little over a week now, so I guess we have some time! Thanks everyone for your input, it's nice to know we're not the only ones. I do think he's teething, because the drool factor is out of control. So perhaps that is contributing as well. Thanks again everyone.

Another thought I just had is that sometimes if a baby is intolerant to dairy they might be allergic to soy protein as well because the two are so similar. This may be something to try too! Also check out the allergy forum inthe family nutrition section... Those moms are a wealth of info!

Go to the ped and get some Levsin (?sp) it is the only thing that will help my two. It can also be used in conjunction with mylicon.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

could it be something not food related, like teething? Is he fussy all day, or just at night?