Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spitting up during the night

Default spitting up during the night

after feeding during the night, my son usually wants to fall right back asleep (which is great). the bad part is: he's a serious spitter-upper, so about one to two hours after going back to sleep he spits up all over the bed. i don't mind him dirtying the sheets, but i'm nervous about him choking on it or something.
    does anyone else's baby spit up like this?
    should i just keep him awake to spit up after feeding, before i put him back down?

Default Re: spitting up during the night

My lo usually only spits up when he as eaten to much or I didn't burp him. I would say try to burp him even if he is sleep
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

sometimes just holding them upright helps with spit up...or propping the bed up..
    is baby extra fussy?

Question Re: spitting up during the night

Do you think that the baby needs to be burped again or are you concerned that this is reflux?

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

DS always spit up during the night when he was little b/c he wouldn't burp, and we never had any problems. He slept a couple of feet from me, so I would have been able to hear him.

I don't think it's reflux -- just that he falls asleep before i can even burp him, then wakes up needing to burp/spit up.

I usually just place my lo over my shoulder and rub his back until he burps...sometimes it takes me switching shoulders for him to burp...But I knowing what I know now I usually won't put him down until he burps!!!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

My LO spits up a ton if I can't get a burp out before laying her down. She falls asleep while eating, but I still put her on my shoulder and gently pat her. Sometimes I get up and walk around bouncing her a bit too. Nice burp, then down she goes. But some nights when I'm beat and anxious to get to bed I'll try for 1o min or so, and just give up and lay her down. She sleeps with her head to the side and spit up seems to just run down her cheek, or wakes her up, and I hear her on the monitor and head to her room to check on her.

I keep my dd upright for 20-30 minutes after each feeding to help prevent spit-up. She has reflux but I feel like this would also help even if your baby doesn't. I'm also very nervous about her choking on her spit-up and this seems to work really well. We haven't had any problems since doing this. She also falls asleep before I can burp, but I still try while I have her upright during this time.

My DS spits up after he has eaten too much!! The problem I have is that at night, he will nurse on his own and I don't really wake up. That means that I don't get up to burp him and by morning he is quite gassy which makes him very fussy!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07