Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie confused about basics?

Question Newbie confused about basics?

I am going to have a child in about 5 months so I realize some would say it's too soon to start thinking about this, but I'm a researcher...

I am confused about the basics of pumping. There seem to be so many choices I am a bit overwhelmed. What kind of pump do I need? What kind of bottle? How do I store milk? How long can it be stored? What do I store it in? How many bottles do I need? How many storage containers do I need? Glass or portable?

I've tried to find a website that will just explain the very basics of breast pumping to me, and what I need to buy, but I can't find one. Can anyone link me to a page that will clear this whole mess up for me?

Thanks!
    akb

Default Re: Newbie confused about basics?

This page might help but I don't think it will answer all your questions. It has a great link explaining the rules for breastmilk storage and handling though.
    Pumping and Bottle Feeding

If you are going back to work full time you will probably want a high-quality double electric pump. You don't necessarily need a hospital grade pump unless you have low supply issues. Popular double electrics are Medela Pump-In-Style and Ameda Purely Yours. There are also models by Avent and Lansinoh that are supposed to be pretty good. I have the Ameda PY.
    Milk can be stored in glass or plastic containers, or special plastic storage bags. Hard, clear plastics can leach harmful chemicals into milk, so bags, pliable/cloudy plastic (such as Medela), or glass are preferable for that reason for both storage and bottles.
    Many moms pump into whatever collection bottles come with the pump, then pour the milk into storage bags and seal. Then, when it comes time to use, thaw or rewarm and pour into the bottle. Some bottles, like the Playtex Nurser or Avent Tempo, use plastic bags/"drop-ins" that are thrown away after use. I think some of the storage bags can be used in those bottles as well.
    Confused yet?
    I hope this helps and I'm sure you will have it all figured out before the baby comes! It's not advisable to start baby on bottles for the first few weeks anyway, so you won't have to worry about it right away. At first, just concentrate on bfing.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

One of the most highly recommended double-electric pumps are Medela's Pump In Style, either the Advanced or Original. It's pricey but there's been few complaints in regards to its performance. There's also Ameda Purely Yours which is cheaper, and a bit more hygenic. I'd go for the Ameda.

As far as bottles, I'd recommend The First Year's Breastflow bottles by Learning Curve. You wouldn't be able to pump directly into them, but the uniquely designed nipple would allow you to switch back and forth between breast and bottle.

Storage can be in bottle or bag, in the fridge for a week, in the freezer for 3 months. You can find more information on that at the site mollyb posted or a quick search on google.

If you choose to store in bags, they usually come 20 - 25 for about $6 - $8, so buy about 3 - 4 to start off and buy them again as you need them. As far as how many bottles you'll need, it depends how lazy you are. You can do just fine with 2 bottles as long as you are consistent with washing them frequently. I personally prefer to be washing one bottle than 6 or 7 at a time.

It is never too early to start prepairing. This site is a great resource. www.kellymom.com also has a lot of useful information and links regarding breastfeeding and includes info on pumping and milk storage. Type of pump depends on how often you are going to use it. I work full time so I have an electric pump (Medela PISA). I purchased it online at lactationcare.com a lot cheaper than it was selling for at Babies R Us.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I am going to have a child in about 5 months so I realize some would say it's too soon to start thinking about this, but I'm a researcher...

Never too early!

And

I am confused about the basics of pumping. There seem to be so many choices I am a bit overwhelmed. What kind of pump do I need?

Well, that depends. Will you be returning to work? Are you only needing to pump on occassion?

What kind of bottle?

Well, that depends on your baby!

How do I store milk?

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

How long can it be stored?

See above.

What do I store it in?

Glass or plastic baby bottles or breastmilk storage containers, or breastmilk storage bags.

How many bottles do I need? How many storage containers do I need? Glass or portable?

Again, that depends on your pumping needs. Will you be pumping full time or only occassionally?

I've tried to find a website that will just explain the very basics of breast pumping to me, and what I need to buy, but I can't find one. Can anyone link me to a page that will clear this whole mess up for me?

Try these:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBpumping.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
    http://www.workandpump.com/