Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: tips to increase milk supply

Default tips to increase milk supply

here are some other tips to increase milk supply

From my experience:
    - warm showers right before feeding (my milk will literally start dripping in the shower)
    - sleeping in warm covers (same effect as warm showers)
    - drinking lots of water
    - pumping the rest of your milk after infant in finished feeding then freezing it for emergencies. this causes your breast to think "oh my gosh, i'm empty...have to start working to produce more milk!"

What I've heard:
    - drape cabbage leaves over breast to boost flow
    - steam (draping breasts over sink with hot water running...effect as warm shower I guess but remember to cover yourself with a towel to keep steam in)

Default Re: tips to increase milk supply

Quote Originally Posted by seaoct
    here are some other tips to increase milk supply

From my experience:
    - warm showers right before feeding (my milk will literally start dripping in the shower)
    - sleeping in warm covers (same effect as warm showers)
    - drinking lots of water
    - pumping the rest of your milk after infant in finished feeding then freezing it for emergencies. this causes your breast to think "oh my gosh, i'm empty...have to start working to produce more milk!"

What I've heard:
    - drape cabbage leaves over breast to boost flow
    - steam (draping breasts over sink with hot water running...effect as warm shower I guess but remember to cover yourself with a towel to keep steam in)
    Cabbage leaves are used by many moms as a home remedy for engorgement, as they have been found to relieve the discomfort caused by engorgement. LLLI recommends caution, when using cabbage leaves, however, because prolonged use can cause a *DROP* in milk supply.

So if you are trying to increase supply, cabbage leaves are not the way to go!