Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cabbage to increase milk supply

Default cabbage to increase milk supply

has anyone heard of this before? while i was at the hospital a new-mom told me there's some enzyme in cabbage that helps increase milk supply. just place over breast while child is feeding and it improves flow of milk.

Default Re: cabbage to increase milk supply

Never heard that. But what I know is that you can use a cold leave between feedings to relieve swelling. But I don't think it will increase your supply. Maybe she was confused.

from
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html
    * Cabbage Compresses

A popular home remedy for relieving the discomfort of engorgement is cabbage leaf compresses. Rinse the inner leaves of a head of cabbage, remove the hard vein, and crush with a rolling pin (or similar). They can be used refrigerated or at room temperature. Drape leaves directly over breasts, inside the bra. Change when the leaves become wilted, or every two hours. Discontinue use if rash or other signs of allergy occur. There have been anecdotal reports that overuse of cabbage compresses can reduce milk production, therefore some experts suggest mothers discontinue the compresses when the swelling goes down.

Using cabbage leaves has been known to seriously reduce milk supply, but is sometimes used by mothers with severe engorgement to lessen it a bit.