Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping reducing amount taken at the breast??

Default Pumping reducing amount taken at the breast??

My DS is 11 weeks old and I have been struggling this entire time with low supply. My LC really pushes the pumping and I have been doing it since he was a week old. I have never gotten more than 1.5 oz (and that was overnight after skipping 2 feedings) using the Medela Symphony or Medela Classic. Most of the time, I get about 10 ml total from both breasts. I pump anywhere from 8-12 times per day, 10-15 mins at each pumping.

Everyone says that you should pump to increase supply but the pumping seems to have the opposite effect for me. For example, my baby takes about an ounce from the breast at each feeding. After I feed him, I pump. But, when I pump, he takes maybe half of that at the next feeding. Does this make sense? Why would the amounts taken from the breast decrease when I pump? Has anyone else had this experience?

Default Re: Pumping reducing amount taken at the breast??

what has babies weight gain been like?
    what about wets and poops?
    Can you tell us a little bit more?

His weight gain is very slow but he has 8 wets and 1 dirty a day. My regimen is to weigh him, feed him at the breast, weigh him again to see how much he took (usually an ounce if I haven't pumped at the previous feeding), then I give him an ounce of formula. He's taking about 10 ounces of formula and about 10 ounces of breastmilk each day but I'm trying to wean him off the formula. The trick is, my supply seems to dip when I pump. If I don't pump, the breastmilk numbers are higher at the end of the day than when I pump and combine the amount pumped with the amount he took at the breast.

Maybe one of the leaders can help. Your bm supply is based on supply and demand. The more you demand (by pumping/nursing) triggers your breasts to increase supply. I know the scales are not 100% accurate, so maybe it is possible that you lo is not getting less. Your breasts should always be producing milk. I have pumped then immediately nursed and my DD has seemed satisfied, so I guess that is why I am confused by your issue. Sorry I could not be more help. Good Luck!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)