Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night, very full in the morning....

Default Sleeping through the night, very full in the morning....

Is there a link someone can give me about what to do about sleeping all night, then waking up to a leaky, very hurtful breast? Or if not, any advice would be great. I've been pumping if she's not awake, because it hurts so bad...but I'm sure that is defeating the purpose. I don't want to wake up in the night/morning with this. I feel very heavy, leak a bunch and just hurt and it wakes me up, more than my baby wakes me up! This has started happening since she's been sleeping through the night. TIA for any help.

Default Re: Sleeping through the night, very full in the morning....

how old is your baby?
    hows weight gain?
    A baby that is young might still have to wake up at night to nurse.
    IF your already awake it wouldn't hurt to wake baby and give that extra feed.

I would have to disagree with Andrea. If your baby is sleeping through the night, don't wake her. Dr. Sears advises this too, if I'm not mistaken.
    You are doing what you can, actually. Eventually your body will get the message not to make so much at night. You can pump just a couple ounces or so out to relieve your discomfort without being too counterproductive. Just don't pump out too much.

thx, actually the pediatrician said to let her sleep through the night now. she's 10 weeks and good weight gain, not too much, or too little...just right.

thx ladies

I've felt your pain. Waking up when I roll over onto my giant hurting boob and leaving wet spots on the sheets (ewe). I agree that you can pump til you're comfortable and eventually your body will get the message. It seems to take longer for us OS girls to get the message though (I think).

When my LO started sleeping through the night (~17 weeks) we needed to up her bottles during the day by a total of 4 oz. So I ended up adding a pumping session right before bed which 1) got me the extra volume for her bottles and 2) helped A LOT with the nightime engorgement.

Good Luck...
    Angela

I agree with Andrea. Waking a baby who is asleep to nurse is pretty painless. William was the happy recipient of a dream-boobie and it helped out the engorgement enormously. If you have a baby that is sleeping all night, offering a little extra breastfeeding (not a drain the breast session mind you) shouldn't do any harm. They don't really wake up anyway if you nurse them while lying on the bed besides them. I suppose if baby is in a crib it might be more of a chore. But who would turn down some extra boobie!? Not William, thats for sure. I was greatful for the extra weight on him when he finally got sick and lost weight. As you can see there are two thoughts about this.
    1. Offer the breast instead of pumping.
    2. Don't wake the baby.
    As the mommy you will do what feels right. I think both ways are correct, depending on the child.

I'm having the same problem. I'm wondering if it's normal for my breast to ache for hours after being engorged. It's been 7 hours since I woke up with a soaked bra and in a lot of pain. I'm still achy, but I don't have any lumps like you would with a plugged duct.

This happened to me as well. My DD started sleeping through the night when she was 11 weeks old. I would wake up in the middle of the night and my breasts would ache because they were so full. Her doctor told me never to wake her up. So, I would hand express some in the sink to relieve some of the pain and take some Tylenol, praying that she would wake up on her own soon. If you pump or nurse her in the middle of the night, your body won't get adjusted to her sleeping through the night. eventually, after my body got used to her sleeping through the night, my breasts don't even feel full in the mornings. It will get better, I promise! :tumbsup

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old

this happened/happens to me all the time now that Mary is sleeping throught the night, or if she had a couple nights in a row of waking at 2 or 4 am and then sleeping through the night again, I would end up having to pump befre work, and this also helped DH out when she woke after I left for work, because then she would take the fresh EBM in a bottle, where as she won't take it if it has been frozen.