Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Camping & EP

Default Camping & EP

Any EPers taken a chance and gone camping??? We're planning a Labor Day camp outting and I just have a few concerns.

(1) How am I supposed to sterilze the parts - over the campfire??

(2) Where can I store the BM - will it last in a cooler full of ice??

(3) How can I heat up the milk - over the campfire??

Thanks for any tips!

Default Re: Camping & EP

gosh good ?'s...
    I don't know if I would be willing to try and boil parts over a fire....
    as bad a cook as I am I would be sure to melt them.

bm will be fine in a cooler with ice. As long as you use it or freeze it with in a few days.

You can get bottle warmers for the car so if your parking on your site you can warm it that way they usually sell them at Toys R us for $10 - $20. Depending on where you going if they have flush toilets and showers they probably have outlets in the washroom so you could always bring a bottle warmer to use there. You may not be able to steralize but you can clean the pump. I would just use either boiled water or store bought to clean with and not the water that comes out of the taps at the camping sites. You could always buy a small camping stove they sell just one burners with small propane tanks and you could boil water on that... a little safer then the fire. That way you could steralize or warm the bottle. Or you can just get the medela cleaning wipes. They work well to.

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/clean...p_accss__wipes
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

(1) How am I supposed to sterilze the parts - over the campfire??

Boil water over the campfire, take off, then leave the parts in for the required period of time.

Alternative two is wash parts with hot, soapy water and rinse well between pumpings and sterilize once per day.

I highly recommend having at least two pump kits available. And since you'll be camping, brush up on your hand expression skills or bring a manual converter for your pump just in case!

(2) Where can I store the BM - will it last in a cooler full of ice??

Do you usually have a lot of extra or just enough?

The milk should be fine in the cooler. Don't store it directly on the ice, though. Put it in a little basket. Also, keep your cooler in the shade with a blanket over it to help keep it as cold as possible.

(3) How can I heat up the milk - over the campfire??

Warm some water over the fire. Pour the water into a cup. Put the bottle in the water. Swirl and test occassionally until it's the right temp.

Have a wonderful trip!