Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/Hindmilk Question

Default Foremilk/Hindmilk Question

I just gave birth to my third baby last Friday. She nurses like a champ - maybe too well because I have a huge oversupply. This is my third breastfed baby and the first time I have experienced too much milk.

Baby seems full and satisfied within just a few moments of gulping. If I try to make her eat more, even after burping, she spits up a large amount.

How do I know she is getting enough hindmilk? Will she be fussy or have other symptoms if she isn't getting enough? Am I worrying too much?

FWIW, she was 9 pounds, 10 ounces at birth, and 9 pounds, 5 ounces when we left the hospital. She is 6 days old and this morning weighed in at 9 pounds, 12 ounces. She has plenty of wet and poopy diapers, and seems very content.

Default Re: Foremilk/Hindmilk Question

What color are her poopies? As long as she is gaining well, not fussy/gassy and has good output (6-10 WET diapers and 5-7 yellowish, mustardy color poops per day), I'd say she's fine.

Sounds to me like you are doing great. From what I understand pp is right when asking what color her dirtiy diapers are... I know froth and green are bad. I had oversupply with my first and third, not my middle guy so I guess it depends. If she is gaining well then you seem to be on the right track. Congrats on your LO

Thank you all! Her poop looks like regular breastfed baby poop, yellow and seedy. She really is a contented baby too, so I guess I am just worrying too much.