Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: intake

Default intake

Does anyone know how much breastmilk a baby needs per day in ounces? I'm concerned the daycare may be overfeeding my DS. He's three and a half months old and according to the daycare has increased his intake. Yesterday they fed him 33 ounces plus he'd nursed his fill not more than an hour before I left him in the morning and then when I got there to pick him up he started rooting around to nurse and he'd just finished a bottle about fifteen minutes before I got there. He was a big baby when he was born...10 pounds 6 ounces....and now he's almost 15 pounds. The daycare was feeding him every two hours and sometimes sooner as he seemed to need. If anyone knows where I can find the info that would be great too.
    Tanya
    Wife to Brandon since 10/14/2003
    Mommy to Erin, my know-it-all preteen, since 7/03/1996.
    Mommy to Katrina, my adventurous toddler, since 7/29/2005.
    Mommy to Connor, my "little man," since 4/22/2007.

Life can be hectic, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Default Re: intake

There is this calculator, http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html. But I was told this could vary. Depending on the child.
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

How long is he at daycare for? 33 ounces does seem like a lot. Sounds like he may be growing. He's probably just rooting around cause he misses his mum and wants to be close to you. Ive heard you cant overfeed a breastfeed baby. If he wants it then give it to him. Its hard to control how much milk the caregivers give your son because you are not there to determine his needs. It is likely that food is comforting for him especially in this environment even more so if daycare is relatively new for him. Good luck sounds like you have a healthy growing boy! I have also seen on this forum that baby needs about 1.5 ounces for every hour you are gone. here is another link for suggested amount of bmilk in bottle intake http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,77sw,00.html
    I am feeding my baby expressed breastmilk. I have heard that there is a formula for figuring out what she needs (approximately) each day. Is this true, and if not, how can I determine how much to feed my one month old, who weighs 12 pounds?

There is a mathematical formula commonly used for calculating how much expressed breastmilk to feed a baby at each feeding. Though this mathematical formula is commonly used I could not find a reference for it in any breastfeeding resource and found some variation among methods. Understand that this calculation will only provide a very rough estimation of what your baby needs at each feeding and should not be used as a hard and fast rule.

When feeding expressed breastmilk you should follow your baby's cues to determine both the timing and amount of each feeding. You should also ask your pediatrician for an expected 24 hour total intake of breastmilk if your baby is only getting expressed breastmilk and not taking milk directly from the breast at all. It is my understanding that this mathematical formula does not work as well as the baby gets older and bigger.

To calculate the approximate range for the number of ounces of expressed breastmilk to provide per feeding use the following mathematical formula:

Take your baby's weight in pounds and multiply it by two and a half to three times. Then, divide this number by the total number of feedings per day to arrive at the approximate feeding amount, in ounces, for each feeding.

In your case this would be baby's weight (12) times either two and a half, equalling 30 (ounces) or three times, equalling 36 (ounces). Then divide this number by the total number of feeds per day. For example, if your baby has ten feedings per day, he or she would have between 3 and 3.6 ounces at each feeding.

Babies commonly take a variety of amounts at each feeding. I tell mothers to store their milk in small increments at first, usually one or two ounce increments. That way it is easy to tailor each feeding amount to the baby's need. Because the milk is stored in small units, it is easy to thaw and warm and there is little waste.

As your baby becomes more accustomed to taking expressed breastmilk, you may notice he or she takes a similar amount at each feeding. At that point it may be easier to store in that amount. I would still recommend storing some breastmilk in smaller increments for those times when your baby wants a little more as she grows, or as a little snack.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Thanks for all your input. His doctor said to give him rice cereal in his bottle, but I'm not sure about doing that. The calculators really did help. He's at daycare for about 10 hours per day, five days a week. Daycare is relatively new for him as he's only ever been cared for by me or a family member until about three weeks ago....I came back to work about two weeks ago. Honestly, I'm confused because my other two didn't do this and his doctor had said not to start solids until 6 months, but now she's saying to give him 1 tsp of rice cereal per 4 oz of breastmilk. Should I start him right away on that or should I just wait a couple of days and see if it calms down?
    Tanya
    Wife to Brandon since 10/14/2003
    Mommy to Erin, my know-it-all preteen, since 7/03/1996.
    Mommy to Katrina, my adventurous toddler, since 7/29/2005.
    Mommy to Connor, my "little man," since 4/22/2007.

Life can be hectic, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

rice isn't needed at that age..
    do he take a passifier?
    or can they use another way to calm baby besieds feeding like a swing?
    Does he sleep alot at night?
    some babies that sleep all night early need extra milk during the day to make up for thoose missed feeds.