Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for mom who pump, please advice

Default Question for mom who pump, please advice

Hello,

I initially had very low milk supply so i rented and been using hospital grade medela symphony pump for the past one month. I was able to get 5 oz in about 15 - 20 minutes using the hospital grade. I bought the medela pump in style advanced and tried it today and pumped for an hour with very very little milk (may be .25 oz) and don't feel the suction that much. When I called medela they said i need to get used to the new pump and initially there won't be any milk and it will take a while for the milk to come through the pump. I just wanted to ask moms who use pump in style if this is true and there is nothing wrong in the unit,

I am so afraid to return the hospital grade pump thinking what if my milk supply goes down...

please advice,

Thanks,

Default Re: Question for mom who pump, please advice

I think you should be feeling suction. Are the white membranes on there correctly? I know that when I don't have mine on correctly it affects the suction.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I personally rented the medela lactina from the hospital and I've had it for 13 months now. the cost have been huge, but so have the benefits.
    When I wanted to switch, I tried a couple of different ones and none of them had the suction power of the hospital-grade one, so I think it is normal that you would feel less suction. But, you still need to feel some suction or it obviously isn't working. I honestly think that I would not have been able to keep up this long if it wasn't for this pump.
    If your means allow it, I would totally keep with the lactina. Some insurance companies will help defray the costs.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I have a medela pis and it took about a day for me to get any real results. Just give it a few days, and hopefully, you'll start to get more milk.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Thank you all for the replies. I feel very little suction and I don't know if that is enough the get the milk out. As you guys say i will give it a try for couple of days and see how it goes.

Thank a lot,

Do you see your nipples moving? Mine get sucked into the horn when the suction is good.

Make sure its sealed all the way around your breast- no bra or shirt stuck in there with your boob. If there is a plastic cover over the horn, makes sure it is on all the way or air can get in.

Other than that, it may jsut take a while ot get used to it.
    Good Luck!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I see the nipples moving but it is not at all that powerful, i don't know if this is how it is supposed to be, becuase i have been using the hospital grade and it is very powerful in suction,

Thanks,

Is there a knob to adjust the suction- to turn it up, I mean? I'm not familiar with the pump you're using so I don't know for sure how to help, but the electric one I used to use had a knob you could turn the suction up and down with.

Also, make sure all the tubes are attached properly and don't have holes in them.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Moving this to pumping. . .
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

I used the Symphony pump for 3 weeks while my baby was in the hospital/NICU, then I switched to the Pump In Style at home. The Symphony is better/quieter since it is a hospital grade, but I really didn't notice that much of a difference with the suction and my milk supply didn't decrease at all when I switched pumps. It sounds like something is wrong with your Pump In Style or with the pump parts.