Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 week old + sleep

Default 10 week old + sleep

is it normal for a 10 week old baby to sleep for only 4 hours at a time? Everyone says sh should be sleeping at least 6 hours at night during one stretch but the most we get is four. Also a couple times a week she wakes every 2 hours to nurse but this is usually if she ate less during the day and is catching up. I only breastfeed and give pumped bm.

Default Re: 10 week old + sleep

It's normal - every baby is different and unique. Forget about the people that say "should".
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I believe it's normal, from my own 10-week old, and everything I have read. At this age, stretches of 4-6 hours at night are totally normal, especially for breastfed babies. I find the information on the internet, etc. is often confusing on this point, since it isn't always clear whether or not sleep norms being described are for bf or formula fed babies.

My son used to have one 6-hour stretch at the beginning of the night, until his daytime naps started taking shape a few weeks ago. Now he wakes every 3 1/2-4 1/2 hours at night. I exclusively bf, so this means a big shift in sleep patterns for me, but that's the only worry I get from it. He'll be sleeping through the night in due time!

It's completely and utterly normal. All babies are different, and there is nothing in particular your LO should be doing right now. Assuming you don't do CIO (cry-it-out) and you respond to your LO's cues throughout the day and night, your LO might wake anywhere from every hour to sleeping for 6-8 hours straight (the lucky parents!). And, don't be fooled into thinking they grow out of this night-waking routine....often LO's chop and change their routine just to keep us on our toes. You might find that this week your LO is sleeping 4 hours....next week 6....the week after 2. It'll change, with teething, growth spurts, etc. Be prepared for it, go with the flow and don't doubt yourself or your parenting ability. You're doing great!

My 18 mo is finally sleeping a 4-5 hour stretch pretty consistently. Completely normal...

My 11 week old sleeps about 3-4 hours at a time during the night. He'll usually do this 2-3 times until he finally decides he is up for the day. What you're describing sounds normal to me.
    Last edited by @llli*mom2littleman; August 2nd, 2007 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I have always read/heard that until about 3-4 months, there isnt a true pattern or sleeping through the night (5 hours). And even then every baby is different so it could be longer. This was true for my dd. She was 3.5mo when she finally had that long stretch of sleep. So your lo Sounds normal to me!

Our little sleepless baby is 4 months and has yet to sleep more than 3 hours 2 nights in a row. We even co-sleep and he has never slept more than 4. It has become a big joke around our house. It's our third and we thought we knew a thing or two about babies... ha!

Normal? Sounds fantastic! I am finally getting 4 hour stretches from my 12 month old!
    Sounds like your LO is doing fine!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

that's what i was thinking! i'd love a four hour stretch! we're about every two/two 1/2 hrs like pp said a couple of times a night and then we are up for the day by 5:30/6!