Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with getting baby to take a bottle

Default Help with getting baby to take a bottle

Hi-DS is 8 weeks and I have been BFing the whole time. I have been pumping since week 3 and offering a bottle 4-6 times a week since then. DS hates it. He either sucks it down in 5 minutes then screams because he can't pacify himself like he does on me (and he won't take a pacifier) or it takes 45-60 minutes to get him to finish it, with lots of screaming in between. I am going back to work in a month so he really needs to learn to take the bottle, but I also want him to take it so we have some more freedom to get out without worrying about me being able to BF him wherever we are and so DH can feed him. We are going to do bottles only this weekend which is going to be rough but we don't know what else to do. Any suggestions??

Default Re: Help with getting baby to take a bottle

Are you giving your LO the bottles yourself, or are you even in the house? I have never gotten my LO to take a bottle from me, ever. He's almost 13 months old, but I have no reason myself to give him a bottle and he knows that.
    When I'm gone though, he will take them, no problem. Babies are smart like that. I really wouldnt try to force the issue, he will eat when you are gone more than likely. Even if he doesnt drink much during the day he could save up and reverse cycle, where he is sleeping all day and nursing all night. He just has to have the milk over a 24 hour period, not necessarly during the day.
    Other good ideas for getting the baby to take the bottle are trying all sorts of different nipples, warming the nipple. My husband would let our LO suck on his finger for a min and then slip in the bottle. He would also feed him in the bouncy seat, sort of like phantom milk coming from the air! Some babies also like to face out, or in another position besides the ones you nurse him in.
    Also if he is really fussy with the bottle he might be getting too much air in his tummy. A lot of mom's rec dr. browns for reducing air in babies tummy.

I have a similar problem as the PP - DS will not take a bottle from me. Period. He knows I have the real deal. When my mom baby sits - she has to hold him in a different way then I would hold him to feed him - if he is in the crook of your arm - he expects the nipple.

We also use breastflow bottles - just have to make sure he has a good latch on it.

Try Breastflow bottles from The First Years/Learning Curve. It has a dual nipple shaped like the breast and milk does not come out unless proper press+suck movement is made - so it can be used to "pacify" just as the breast since the flow of milk will slow down or stop if the tongue is pressing against the second nipple.