Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mums With Breastfeeding 2yr Old Toddlers

Default New Mums With Breastfeeding 2yr Old Toddlers

Hi All,

I'm very new to this website and have joined because I am a breast-feeding, full-time working Mum and wanna meet other Mummies in the same circumstances for chats, support, advice etc. I have a partner and a beautiful gorgeous little girl called Maisie-Jean, she'll be 2 at the end of this month. She's a very happy and contented little girl, but doesn't sleep through the night yet. I have no problem with that because she still needs me and her 'booby'. My partner is not so supportive, he says I've made a rod for my own back, because with working full-time, it's been easier to nurse her to sleep because that way I got rest and was able to get up and go to work - MJ to nursery and not 'fall-down' physically and emotionally. It's becoming a real strain on me the fact that he is and has been so unsupportive. He's said some nasty stuff about my milk not being good enough or quantity enough to feed her. I just want an invisible hug, because I intend to carry on breastfeeding her until she tells me she's had enough. So any verbal hugs, advice, or just plain moaning would be great.

Default Re: New Mums With Breastfeeding 2yr Old Toddlers

There you go, hope those help!
    I'm so sorry you're having a hard time with your partner, you are not alone. I had a hard time with me DH closer to the one year mark and for a few months afterward. I let him know that his lack of support was really hurtful and that I would be happy to listen if he could come up with any research or anything at all to back up his opinion that weaning would be the BEST thing for our DD. Well he couldn't and has been much more supportive.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Unfortunately, I can relate to your situation. I also work f/t. My DH does not approve of my nursing our 16 month old twins...and has expressed this since before they were 9 months. He doesn't say much about it anymore, but not because he's changed his attitude. His lack of support has been very frustrating as well as hurtful, particularly since our first child has major immunological and GI issues. The fact that it's important to me, plus that the babies are doing so well -- I think -- ought to be reason enough alone to support me in this.

While I don't have any wise words, know that you're not alone. You already know you're doing the right thing.

Hi Ladies,

Thank you ever so for your kind words. It's good to know I'm not alone. For a while I was beginning to feel like I was 'Alien' to my partner and his family. I just wanted to acknowledge your replies, I shall post some more later on when I've finished work, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring your replies, believe me they are much much appreciated.xxxxxxx

P.S. How do you pin a piccie by your username, I'd love to pin a picture of little Maisie-Jean next to my username......any help would be very much appreciated.

Hey there--no nursing 2 yo here, but close. And pregnant with #2. Dh is supportive, but not for it, if that makes sense. I work fulltime too, and have never made any excuses...we still nurse at night because it helps her and I to reconnect. She needs it as much as I need it.

As for the pic..got to User CP, and then change your avatar. They're called avatar pictures. You can then upload a picture...but you will likely have to make it smaller, as there is a size limit for server space reasons! If you have more questions, can't get it done, feel free to pm me and I can walk you through it a little better!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

You aren't alone with the partner thing. Ugh, I just had a "discussion" last night with my dh about our daughter. The nursing issue is about over. The sleeping issues are about over. But boy we differed more than I had expected to about parenting things. Motherhood has been a breeze compared to getting used to being a WIFE and a mother. I think it's really hard for partners because if you are the one nursing, they KNOW they don't really have a say in that aspect. So it's kind of frustrating; especially if you differ on parenting approaches. My husband definitely values independence more than I do... mostly, it seems, he wants me free to do other things... How do we convince then that this is what we want? And how do they accept it? I don't know. But it's OK. When dd was around two- that was a tough time in my marriage. But its gotten better. And guess what? After she turned three, she started sleeping through the night! But the partnership, thank goodness, got better before that.

I am nursing 2 year old twins. They also do not sleep thru the night. They are mostly day weaned but reverse cycled and now nurse more at night. Keep up the good work.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Hello again everyone,

So many replies, so many useful comments, I thank you all. Yes it has been an uphill struggle for me, but I will continue until MJ has had enough of her 'Mummy Milk'. She's such a happy, clever and bright child, it's the least I can do as her Mum to provide her with the comfort she wants. Sometimes I feel so 'whacked' at work - I look like I'm on another planet, but generally I think I cope good. Thanks ever-so to EPBROWN for the picture thingy, I shall try that later on, as I am currently at work still . My partner said just the other day that I had made a 'rod for my own back' because I still nurse MJ through the night at different intervals. We do have some real issues about me, parenthood, breastfeeding etc. He was a divorced man of 7 years when I met him, he has two girls (now 20,18 respectively and their little half-sister!) so he was really reluctant to want to be a Dad again. However, I advised him that I could get pregnant and hey presto I did and that if he didn't want to stay with me he was free to choose, I would have been quite happy and able to bring her up on my own with access to him/family and whoever! But he decided to stay, now we had some real rough times, hence the unsupportiveness of my decision to breastfeed. The girls were bottle-fed and so he said, slept through the night from birth, but I am wise enough to know that that doesn't always happen. Sometimes I feel as though we have reached a real stalemate situation - I don't know where to go with this, I feel as though he resents me (he says not) but he has now created a 'social' life outside of our home. We are not married (been together for 8 years) and currently I don't feel as though I want to marry him until we have sorted this situation out, but we can't talk - we just argue and I'm a very emotional woman.......even more emotional since baby Maisie was born.

Hi there,

Just wanted to ditto the Previous Posters, and gives you hugs! I thinks it's such a beautiful & unique relationship, a breastfeeding toddler and mother. My son just turned 2 last week, and we have no end in sight. My husband and my family here in town were NOT supportive of my breastfeeding when it got really hard (frequent night nursing, never took a bottle, multiple allergies, nursed all the time). DS still wakes up twice a night to nurse even though I stay home. It is really a connection/bonding for him and I won't take it away from him... my relationship with my husband was so emotional over the the breastfeeding and at times we still can't talk about it without arguing. We just agree to disagree, and that is that. I think over the 2 years we have just accepted that this is what I want for our son, and I'm not gonna budge on what I know is important for my son! Ultimately, I think the guys know that because we are breastfeeding it is our choice as moms.

Just wanted to say welcome to the LLL website, also. It has been SO helpful for me to know that I'm not the only out there...

Hi EthansMummy and other Mummies too

Just wanted to say that I too have stuck by my guns in deciding to continue with the bf. It's partly due to the nourishment Maisie gets aswell as the re-connection thing after I've been to work all day.

My partner will never change his view of breastfeeding, but as we are well aware, 'boobie's' in the western culture have long been viewed upon as sexual. I wonder what all the male followers of Jordan (glamour model) think now that she has 3 babies? I wonder if she has become a 'non-person' in their eyes? (non-person is a term that my partner called me - about 8 weeks after the birth of Maisie - I have forgiven his state of mind, but I just cannot forget what he said. It cut me to the core )

If anyone else here has experienced verbal nasties from their partners over bf, I'd love some tips on how to get over the comments and move on.....

Anyway, back to important issues. Do you need any special qualifications to become a leader? I received my first couple of newsletters at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed reading the articles that all the Mums had submitted. I felt like I would like to get involved more and offer more Mums support as well as feeling SOOOO normal. There should be even more campaigning to encourage bf around the world.