Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch! Biting pain!

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Ouch! Biting pain!

My lo (6 months) has two bottom teeth and kept biting me yesterday. Each time I screamed and told him "don't bite mama" and calmly put him back to breast after a moment or two. So I hope I did a good job because he didn't do it today.

The problem is my nipple is killing me! It is a bit inflammed and I can see his little teeth marks in red. What to do? I put lanolin (sp?) on it but it doesn't help much.

Any suggestions beyond grin and bear it?

Default Re: Ouch! Biting pain!

I found that soaking a washcloth with expressed breastmilk and wearing it in my bra for a while helps immensely. I didn't have very good results from the lansinoh either. And I always use the uninjured (or least injured - I have a chronic biter) breast first for feedings. If I can get away with it, I wait until DS is asleep before putting him to the hurt side. The frequent popping off that he does when awake further irritates the wound. In my experience most mild-moderate bites heal completely in about 2 days, but start to feel better in 12-24 hours. Hope you feel better soon!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thanks! Still hurts two days later... lets hope it doesn't get infected!

Dont have any suggestions since my LO still has his teethless grin....just wanted to offer you . Hope it gets better.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

Riley does a lot of biting when he's teething. Last night he was nursing away just fine, then all of a sudden, OW! He's never bit me that hard before. I'm still a little sore today.

He's never really bit me hard enough for me to try and find pain solutions beyond massage. But if he continues what he did last night, I'm thinking I might try a cold washcloth, lanolin, etc. Maybe other ladies have some good ideas. I'll be watching!