Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything I can do to help baby poo?

Default Is there anything I can do to help baby poo?

My 7 week old has not pooed in 5 days. He is eating the same and his pee output is the same. Today I am cutting dairy out of my diet to see if that helps and increasing my wated intake. I was wondering if any of you have experienced this? Also, is there anything I can add to my diet to try to help him poo? I am trying not to worry, too much, but he seems really uncomfrotable. He will grunt and strain with a red face and then all he pushes out are a few farts. Any help will be great. Thanks.

Default Re: Is there anything I can do to help baby poo?

If your baby is getting only breastmilk, he is not constipated. There is no poo to be made as there is not a lot of waste with breastmilk. I think from 6 wks. to around 3 mos. my daughter only pooped once every 2 to 3 wks and it was a big blow-out. It's not even actually poop, it's the liquid that the body produces to help remove waste, but there's not waste and it eventually has to come out. Know what I mean?

Is your baby eating breastmilk only?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My lo is only 2 weeks, should he still be getting 3 or mor bm everyday? I read this, it was helpful but didn't answer my question....

http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/C/c...on_infant.html
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

With my oldest DS, this same thing happened to me and I freaked!! The pediatrician reassured me that everything was ok!! Around 6 weeks of age, their bowel movements will lessen A LOT! This is because they are using all of that fabulous breastmilk to GROW, GROW, GROW!! As long as the poo is not hard pebbles when they actually do go, the baby is not constipated. Just as pps asked, are you exclusively nursing? HTH
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

I wish my baby would stop pooping! He's 7.5 weeks and still poops a couple times a day!

He had a diaper rash from it, and now is very upset whenever he goes, even though his bottom now is fine looking.

I change him constantly, every time he passes gas he also passes a little heiny liquid. I am waiting for the days when the pooping slows down. My pediatrician tells me it will happen....
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Is your baby eating breastmilk only?[/QUOTE]

Yes he is only eating breastmilk.

This resource should prove helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

he pooed! we are very excited in our household. thank you for all your support. It was very helpful to get info from websites and all. We tried the bath and the rectum stimulation yesterday, but nothing really worked and today he just went without any problems. It's amazing how your son pooing can be so exciting.

I've heard that you can use a birthday candle with a little (I'd use alot ) of petroleum jelly and gently rub the anus with it. I'd have to be awfully desperate!
    Kristie
    Wife to Chris 11/09/02
    Mommy to Kaycee Elaine 6/15/07
    with baby girl Emily Taylor due 8/08/09

The same thing happened to me weeks ago - my little one went about 6 days. My pediatrician and others said this was okay, so try not to worry! Your baby will eventually poo but be forewarned that when it happens it will be a major blow out (maybe 2 in a row, like in my case)!! Hang in there.