Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long?

Default how long?

i learned the hard way that no matter how inconvenient at work i can never skip the pumping session...so now i have this massive clogged milk duct. i usually pump 3 to 4oz but barely getting one. i clogged on monday now its wed. ive done heat masssage, hot shower, and increased lecithen. how long till it goes

Default Re: how long?

is the baby nursing any on that side?
    Sometimes the baby is able to get the clog out....
    If you notice I fever you beter call the doctor.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

I find hand expression often helps, and I always inspect my nipples for little white dots. Most of my "clogged ducts" are actually clogged pores -- as soon as I get the pore open, the milk flows and the clog goes away. From what I've read about clogged ducts, I don't think it'd work quite that well if the clog was higher up in the duct itself.

Have you tried pressure massage? It can be painful, especially when the clog is severe, but sometimes it works for me. Stand in the shower as warm as you can stand it, and then with the heel of your hand, apply gentle pressure behind the clog and down towards your nipple.

Also, try taking some ibuprofen. This will do two things: help some with the pain, and lessen any inflamation you may have. If you're in too much pain you will have problems with let downs. I've noticed when I have a clog, if I can't get a let down I'm not going to stand much of a chance of clearing it up at that point.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

i am an exclusive pumper now and i can tell it far up the duct. it very red and tender and u can feel the hard spot.
    ive not tried pressure massage i will try that. my stock of bottles is so low since only one side works iv got to get this fixed

Persistence.

Hopefully you end up better off than me -- I've been battling clogged ducts for weeks now, with no end in sight. To make matters worse I have a lump in my one breast, and depending on what they want to do, I may have to stop breastfeeding alltoghether, at least on that one... which is just going to mean clogged ducts and pain.

Ugh.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.