Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Different Now?

Question Different Now?

Today, Alston has only nursed around 8, 10, and 1. It's 4:00 now. But the thing is, he eats maybe 5 minutes, starts yanking and fussing, nurses on the other side for the same length of time, then spits up a lot. After that, he seems happy and good to go.

I am worried he isn't getting enough because of the short time and the huge spit up that follows, but my bb's are soft and floppy when he acts finished. Is that anything to be worried about?

(He has about 5 or so wet diapers and one poopy-watery orangey-a day.)

Default Re: Different Now?

Sounds like either he has a very powerful suck and can get what he needs in the 5 minutes...or the yanking and fussing and short nursing on each side sounds a bit like too much foremilk. You might try returning him to the same breast for another feeding. But how is weight gain? and how long has this been going on? perhaps just a phase or blip? In any case, I hope it gets better soon!

Weight is good. He is up to over 15 lbs now at 3 1/2 mths. It has really been happening just the past week now. How can I tell if it's too much foremilk and what would I do about it? I have been pumping randomly trying to build up a good stash because I am returning to work soon, I hope I didn't cause a problem doing that!

Edited to add: I just looked it up.. He doesn't have green stools, but they are very liquidy lately. Who knows!
    Last edited by alston's mama; August 1st, 2007 at 04:08 PM.

My lo starting doing this about week 3, where he would only eat for about 5-6 minutes on a side. I would feed him on the same breast for two feedings in a row, then switch to the other breast for the next two. This seemed to help and i know that he is getting the good stuff because I can see it. He is also gaining wait like crazy. Hope this helps.

Alston's mama, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if he is 15 lbs already and doesn't act hungry and want to nurse between the feedings. Floppy bb's isn't really a good indicator unless they feel more full when you begin the feed. If this is the case then you're golden- you have a fast eater who needs less time on boob. I guess the spitting isn't the best, but as long as he's gaining and satisfied you're doing great!