Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing to no avail

Default Nursing to no avail

Hi mommies,

First time mom here

My baby girl is 6 days old and I have been bfing around the clock the last 3 days but to no avail. I dont feel the 'letdown' everyone talks about but on the 3rd day one breast became really hard...since then soft breasts. Milk comes out when I squeeze them, white and thick but not a steady stream. My baby nurses for over an hour, latches on well, seems to be drinking, burping etc. but then she starts screaming 10 mins later! She also wont sleep for longer than an hour maybe hour and half in btwn nursing. Last night I finally gave her formula in the wee hours of the morning after nursing all night and she drank the whole bottle and then slept for almost 3 hours! Tonight, same story I bf-ed 40 mins and then 40 mins again half hour later, and now finally gave her 3/4 bottle formula. Now shes quiet while my husband holds her.
    What am I doing wrong? We cant afford a lactation consulatant right now....any advice?

She made 3 big poos today, yellow and mustardy and is wetting 3-4 times a day.

Default Re: Nursing to no avail

My only advice is to see if you have a local La Leche Group, I think they might be able to help and make sure she is latching good. I never have felt the let down either, my LO is 15 days old. I do get engourged overnight but nothing else.

I know you said you can't afford to see an LC, but maybe you could find one that would take payment over time or something? Over the long run, you'll spend way more money if go to formula feeding. But hang in there....the beginning is the hardest part. It will get better!

Have you been counting wet and dirty diapers? This site is a good one to check out: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/index.html

I do not feel let down either, but my DD has nursed great for almost 9 months. I think what you are describing is normal. I would hold off on the formula and continue nursing and count the diapers to tell if your lo is getting enough. Giving formula will hurt your supply. Do you have a breastpump? You could pump for some proof that you are producing milk . Some women can hand express, but I have never been able to get streams while doing this either. Also, if you feel the need to "top" your lo off, you can give expressed bm instead of formula. The first couple of months are the hardest. It does get easier! BF babies typically nurse a lot in the early weeks. 1-2 hours between feedings during the day is normal. Sometimes my DD would nurse for what felt like forever. It was hard. But now, it seems so easy and I love our nursing relationship. Breastfed babies will also typically nurse every 3-4 hours at night too for the first few months at least. Your baby may also be comfort nursing, which will help your supply. Pacifiers may help with this. It is not recommended to introduce pacifiers until after 6 weeks of nursing. However, I did without any harm. That is a personal decision you will need to make.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Is there any chance your ped's office has a lactation consultant in the practice? Or a nurse that can help? Do you have a weight check appt coming up that might give you some confidence? I know my insurance actually covered my appt with the LC when the twins were 12 days old (I assume...never saw a bill?). I had lots of issues with them in the beginning (and did use pacifiers---figured it couldn't hurt more than the red nipples they used in the hospital nursery). So...maybe try pacifiers. I hate to suggest it, tho, since she's so young.

But, PP is so right.....formula will be more expensive in a short time than an LC....but do check with your LO dr's office (and with your insurance).

Good luck! You can do this....

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

3 poopy diapers is great and 3-4 wet diapers is getting there. It is recommended that you have between 5 and 6 wet diapers a day. Formula takes longer to digest, because breastmilk is the perfect infant food and is easily used. That may make it seem like your dd is satisfied for a longer period of time with formula, but if you are already worried about supply issues, formula will only make those worse. It sounds to me like you are doing fine, and that you are making milk...its just a matter of letting your dd suck as much as she needs to get that milk supply where it needs to be!

I really recommend seeking out a local LLL leader/group to help you. There is no charge. A weight check might be reassuring as well.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Milk supply is increased by keeping the breast as empty as possible. A newborn suckling all the time is normal. She is building your supply. When you give formula, you keep yourself from building your supply. The receptors in the breast for making milk are created in the first 2 weeks, then that's it. That's what you have to work with. You need to be stimulating your breasts by nursing as much as possible now.
    !!Very important!! It takes about two weeks to develop the let-down reflex! So you are normal. I wish they would teach that in breastfeeding class. I thought I was abnormal after my LO was born because I felt no let-down. Then after a couple of weeks, it was there. All that worry for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DassisMom View Post
    Hi mommies,

Tonight, same story I bf-ed 40 mins and then 40 mins again half hour later, and now finally gave her 3/4 bottle formula.
    Cluster feeding. My LO did it, used to drive me crazy with worry until I realized that it's NORMAL! Not a sign of low supply at all!

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/frequency.html
    Last edited by Woodpecker; August 1st, 2007 at 10:06 AM.

DS, 11/08/06
    DD 02/06/09

Thank you all for your posts. Im so happy to have found this wonderful forum!
    Today was much better t'g, and all your advice really gave me confidence and optimism about bfing. My aunt was here today and she bfed 14 children!!! She advised I nurse a little shorter and that the first 10 minutes is when the baby gets what she really needs. Tonight I gave lo the pacifier after 17 mins of nursing and she took it (burp?)... Ive also seen an improvement in milk flow, this morning had two wet spots on my tshirt!!
    Thank you all for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by DassisMom View Post
    Hi mommies,

First time mom here

I dont feel the 'letdown' everyone talks about
    I never could feel it either until like last week and that's over 2 months of breastfeeding my baby! It's very normal to not feel the letdown at the beginning but you will soon enough. I'm glad to hear things are going much better for you.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09