Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think my supply is dwindling...

Default Think my supply is dwindling...

DD (10.5 mos.) nurses anywhere from 6-8 times a day... a couple of those are super short sessions... literally a minute or two and she's done. Lately she's been doing the "nibble" as she is latched on (for let-down? ) and pulling at my breast. I've been wondering if she's trying to get more out, or just playing. She does not seem hungry to me, and she has not picked up on her solids.

Should I start fenugreek? Or offer her more solids? She's at the breast a lot (to me) so I never thought I would have supply issues.

Right now she had a boob in her mouth and she just looked at me with big brown eyes... popped off and is playing and happy. So is she getting enough?

Default Re: Think my supply is dwindling...

Playing and happy is a very good sign that she is getting enough!

Babies' feeding patterns change quite a bit by this stage, and some babies become even more efficient at the breast. It's not unusual for a baby to take in all he/she needs in a matter of a few minutes.

As long as she's still making plenty of wets (and some dirties in there), and she's still seems happy, you can rest assured that she is getting enough.

HTH!

Thank you! I have been keeping track of her diapers, and her output is still good. I think I sometimes start to panic unnecessarily when it comes to supply... Her activity at the breast is what had concerned me most, since she never really pulled or hit my breasts before. I guess it's just one more thing that she's doing now!

At that age, the outside world is such a wonder to most babies. They are finally realizing that there is a whole world outside of mommy, and they want to explore it!
    Like the pp said, she is probably getting much more efficient at nursing so she might be taking in the same amount (or more) in less amount of time. I know how you feel about worrying un-necessarily though.

I'm bumping this because... TMI, but I just started my period! Does the return of "aunt flo" mean that supply is really low? Diaper output is good (at least 6 wets a day). However, she hasn't pooped for a couple of days, and this is the second time in the past week that this has happened. I haven't introduced anything new to her, so I know that is not the problem. She still isn't huge on the solids anyways, and after nursing she isn't complaining like she is still hungry. Oh, and today she seemed warm to me, even after our swim, so I wonder if teeth are on the horizon.

I'm sorry, this is all over the map, but I'm just really confused, and totally bummed that I got my period again. And I swear, as soon as I realized I started, I felt cramps (and I never really had them before). Psycho-somatic?

I usually have really low supply for about 2-3 days right around ovulation so that could have had something to do with it for you. It always rebounds quickly for me but Zach stays fussy at the breast until my actual period starts then things go back to normal for a couple of weeks.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?