Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby throwing up..

Default Baby throwing up..

Hi, my LO has done this a few times.. she just throws up what seems to be everything she just took. She just did it again, it has happened like 4 times so far, always right after she finished feeding. It is not normal spit up, she is literally throwing up and milk is coming out of her mouth and nose sometimes.

Is this normal?? I am afraid she might choke or something. She has her 1 month app today with the ped and I will definetely ask.

Default Re: Baby throwing up..

Does it happen right after she's done, like right when you "sit" her up? Or, is she laying down when it happens? My LO did it this morning...and I know it's because I got distracted (by the older 2), and put him on the changing table, and forgot to burp. So, maybe it's just an air bubbble?

Ask your ped. But aren't you thankful it's breast milk? Formula is so stinky when they spit that back up!!

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

Sounds like an air bubble or maybe shes just getting ALOT? Try proping her up after feeds for a bit. Hugs, its not fun when they spit up like that.

It has happened while I am burping her.. or right after I have put her down and she starts to fuss, I pick her up and off she goes..

I think she is taking too much and when she burps it all comes out at once..

I'll see what the ped says.. It is really scary because I can tell she is upset and scared.

My LO did it when he was even littler, but stopped the projectile spit up at about 4 mos...so it may just be too much in a little tummy or air bubbles that will get better as your LO gets older.
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

That usually happened when my lo had air bubbles. Maybe try burping more often?
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Funny how things come back around! (: I posted an nearly identical message here about 3.5 mo. ago...when my DD was same age as yours. Happened here about a handful of times (4ish), not regularly. Remember that what comes up also is mixed with saliva, etc. so not as much as it looks like...I KNOW it's a lot, but it got better quick. Get a big supply of burpcloths and all will be well. Hope this resolves for you too. Now my 4mo. girlie's belly is bigger and she keeps it all in. Hpe the best for you.

As Brittan used to say to me, back when I posted A LOT of questions about my DS spitting up all the time - "it's more of a laundry problem than anything else...". In my case, it was because I was producing too much milk, and my poor son's tummy was too small to digest all that he took in, so lots would come up afterwards. Sometimes he would spit up 10-20 times after each feeding! It became quite cumbersome. After trialing a bit of block feeding, and regulating my supply a little better he's spitting up only a couple of times a week now. It's lovely! That might be something to do with his age too though.

Don't worry about it. It's normal for infants to spit up, and it doesn't hurt our LO's at all (especially if they spit up so soon after feeding....).

We had the dr appointment yesterday and she told us it is just overeating. She does it whenever she tries to get more milk too soon after eating. So I am watching her more now and trying to distract her when she starts to root etc. Which you can imagine is pretty hard since at 1 month old all they do is eat and sleep!

I do think my milk supply is not quite adjusted yet, my right breast seems to always be ready to feed an army of babies. My LO only takes one breast per feeding but my right breast always think its her turn! I am not sure if I can say I have an oversupply problem.. not sure how to tell..