Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sling question

Question Sling question

Hi! I am new to this forum and am posting for the first time. Like all breastfeeding mothers I am also facing the problem of breastfeeding in public. My husband does not like this idea and wants me to switch to bottle. But I want to breastfeed as long as possible. Then I came across 'sling' on this forum and I want to try it. But there are so many types available that I am not able to decide which one is good. I specifically want the type that would allow me to breastfeed discreetly. Also, where to buy it from.Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Payal : Mother of a 3 1/2 year old daughter and 4 months old daughter.

Default Re: Sling question

I have a Maya Ring Sling and an Ultimate Baby Wrap. I think discreet nursing in easier in the Maya, plus the "tail" of the sling can act as a cover-up, if you choose. I got my Maya on eBay and the Wrap at Babies R Us.

May I ask, why does your husband have an issue with you nursing your baby in public? Maybe you could point out to him how much easier nursing in public is compared to toting around bottles, keeping them cool, how to warm them, etc.

Babycenter.com has Maya wrap slins on sale right now. I've also heard the Zolowear sling is good. But I don't have a ring sling yet. I use a bebe au lait shawl in public. Can't risk students seeing me!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Thanks

I have always used the over the shoulder baby holder that your local LLL group might sell. You can also get them on ebay. I was able to discretly nurse my daughter in it from birth to about 18 months. I do still use it but she no longer nurses in public. Good luck.

thanks ... I guess i'll call the local lll leader to ask if they have them or not

Ring slings with longer tails are a great option, as are wraps and Mei Tais. I don't list pouches because while it is possible to nurse discreetly, the choices listed above provide a little more coverage. Check out the section on choosing a baby carrier on www.thebabywearer.com to get you started and feel free to PM me anytime. HTH