Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to get in the game

Default Need to get in the game

I think i posted this here, maybe not. I am 19w4d preggo (or so) with my 3rd baby. Last baby, was born premature, had latch and supply issues, had to use a shield, lactated, relactated. gave up. SOOO, this baby i want/need to get off on the right foot. i want to go into the hospital ready and BREASTFEED my baby I have decided starting to go to LLL in August may help, just to refresh me on certain things, Latching, any probs that may arise, etc. I have found my Breastpump-- i know i need to get bags and nursing pads and lotion. I have also decided NO BOTTLES, PACIFIERS, or NIPPLES in the house (with the exception of the sheild, just in case)...

so should i do anything else to prepare and succeed this time????

My main problems last time were:
    no support
    no Breast pump
    latch- had to use shield
    nipple confusion- she was a NICU baby

thanks for any help

jennifer
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

Default Re: Need to get in the game

Honestly I think the two most important things are the will/desire to succeed and the support. You seem to have both of those already!

Good luck!!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree with pp... support and a strong will/desire to make it work are the two most important things. I, too, attempted and failed at bf'ing my first two children. Giving in to the pressure (from family and friends) to "give them a bottle" helped me switch to formula. This time around, I refused to give in to that pressure. It's been a lot of hard work but I have LOVED every single moment of it!!! And I'm dreading the day that my LO weans!!!! Good luck to you!!!!

Going to a LLL meeting tonight-- they have em the 1st thursday of every month, so if i do that id get in 5 meetings before baby is born-- thats pretty good

Jen
    Mommy to:
    Nathaniel 2/28/05
    Boy/Girl Twins: Raymond 17w4d & Candice 5/22/06
    Lana 12/22/07

Missing Wylder 9w5d
    TTCAL for another nursling!

i agree with pps- support and a will... about the shields- perhaps this time around because you've done it once before you may be more relaxed and prepared with techniques for latching a difficult baby. that is my hope for next time since last time we had to shield also. my favourite technique was the "sandwich"- just squueze and shove as much in as you can. it has worked well.
    good luck, be strong, you'll be fine!