Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Questions?

Default Milk Questions?

My 5 mo old has started sleeping through the night 7:30 PM to 7:00 AM without a feeding and I'm concerned my milk is not adjusting to the need for more during the day and not at night. I have always feed her every 2 to 2 1/2 hrs but she seems to be getting frustrated at the breast during the day and my breasts feel soft all day long. How quickly does your milk replenish again once your baby empties the breast? Will nursing every 1 to 1 1/2 hrs during the day be to frequent? I'm just worried and concerned she is not getting enough milk? Need advice!

Default Re: Milk Questions?

First of all, congrats on the sleeping through the night thing! That's good news. I know what you mean about the soft breasts all day long, because I am experiencing the same thing this week. I have a 2 year old who I nursed until 15 months and now my newbie is 3 mo. I am also wondering if she is getting enough because she, too, sleeps through the night from 7:30 til around 5 or 6ish. Also she was a slow gainer for weight and I think she is still pretty tiny. Haven't weighed her in a while...
    From my experience with my first I'd say follow baby's cues. If she wants to nurse, nurse her. 1-1/2 hours is not too soon. She could be having growth spurt and, in any case, it will up your supply which it sounds like you want.
    How much does your lo weigh? If she is obviously gaining I think it is fine and wait it out. I've also been to a couple of LLL meetings and heard the leaders say before that some moms end up stopping bf because they fear baby is not getting enough when boobs soften and start supplementing. I say keep bfing and give it another week OR supplement with a bottle of breastmilk once a day or so and pump instead. Sorry such a long message...

My LO is almost a year old. My breasts have been soft for awhile now. (First thing in the morning, they are harder b/c he does not nurse from 6p.m. to 8:30 a.m., but other than that, they're softer than they were.)
    Even with softer breasts, I know that he is getting milk. I can still feel a let-down and hear him drinking. He's also still producing the same amount of wet/poopy diapers and is gaining weight fine.
    I would say to monitor her diapers to make sure she's getting enough. From what I've read, that's the best way to know. Your body and baby adjust to the amount and quality of milk that the baby receives as they get older. Thank goodness b/c those full painful breasts were not pleasant!!!

I have come to the conclusion that it must be the taste and possibly the amount of milk right before I have a period. I just started today and I sort of remember this happening last time before my period. Has this ever happened with you or has anyone noticed this before. Also she has been fussy more with teething I think so I'm sure it's a bunch of things put together. Thanks for your thoughts. My daughter weighed 13lbs 10oz and 24" long at her 7/10/07 appt which was at 19 weeks.
    o
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenimommy View Post
    First of all, congrats on the sleeping through the night thing! That's good news. I know what you mean about the soft breasts all day long, because I am experiencing the same thing this week. I have a 2 year old who I nursed until 15 months and now my newbie is 3 mo. I am also wondering if she is getting enough because she, too, sleeps through the night from 7:30 til around 5 or 6ish. Also she was a slow gainer for weight and I think she is still pretty tiny. Haven't weighed her in a while...
    From my experience with my first I'd say follow baby's cues. If she wants to nurse, nurse her. 1-1/2 hours is not too soon. She could be having growth spurt and, in any case, it will up your supply which it sounds like you want.
    How much does your lo weigh? If she is obviously gaining I think it is fine and wait it out. I've also been to a couple of LLL meetings and heard the leaders say before that some moms end up stopping bf because they fear baby is not getting enough when boobs soften and start supplementing. I say keep bfing and give it another week OR supplement with a bottle of breastmilk once a day or so and pump instead. Sorry such a long message...

That could be. And in that case it should get better within a few days! I'm wondering, would you say you get about 7 feedings in during the day or more? I'm trying to get at least 7, but wondering if she would gain better if I offered the breast more. Lately, last couple of days, I have offered it more bc I have a clog and she's been taking it and drinking. Only hope I don't start to overproduce as a result...

I get 7 sometimes 8 times at the breast during the day and it seems that about 4 of those are good, longer than 10 mins. She seems to have become a pretty efficient drinker and hasn't ever really nursed for longer than 15 minutes. I too have often wondered if nursing her more would help with weight gain. I would think she would get more fatty milk because the breast wouldn't be as full yet. It's just hard sometimes getting her to drink more often, I've tried and she sometimes will pull away and is just not ready. I guess if you overproduce that's better than not producing enough and eventually she's drink more total or your milk will even out to her need. Do you nurse from both breasts at each feeding?

Hey, thanks for the heads up in the private message. Don't know when I would have gotten back to this otherwise, so that was helpful
    Yeah, I guess you're right, overproduction is not the worst problem and it should even out with her need eventually. In the beginning, with her, I did nurse from both sides to stimulate production and just do what they recommend for newborns, but we switched @ around 6 weeks because I was getting clogged ducts and she was unable to drain the milk from either breast in a single feed. And I was pumping too much on the recommend. of an lc and I had too much milk. So I had to work through that and that's its own story. But things have changed. Now she is a more efficient nurser and can definitely take the milk from 1 breast per feed. (and I'm making less, so that helps) That's what I was doing for the last 7 weeks or so but lately (last 2 days) I've been offering the other breast after she has been on the first for 10 min. or so because I'm not sure if she's full and my breasts are softer so it's harder to tell. She's been taking it. I think she may be going into her 3-4mo.growth spurt or something because she's also sleeping a lot. I'm curious about her weight but don't have a scale.