Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dark Beer - Increase Supply??

Question Dark Beer - Increase Supply??

I was told that drinking dark beer can actually icrease your supply?? Is that so?, and if so what about the alchol??? Isn't it bad for baby????

Default Re: Dark Beer - Increase Supply??

I have heard that in small amounts (like one beer a day) the alcohol won't be bad. I have heard that about dark beer, and am curious too
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

There was a thread about this recently. It's the hops and the yeast that are good, but alcohol can inhibit supply. So do you think a non- alcoholic dark beer would work? Supply issue couldn't be as easy 2 resolve as "drink a beer"!! could it?

I had one lc say if i drink 1 beer i have to pump and dump for 24 hours. i had a doc tell me that a 4 oz glass of wine was ok every now and then... I think they have to tell us nononono cuz there is always someone that it will hurt worse than others and someone that takes it too far. pumping and keeping supply is so hard anyway, i just don't want to take any chances.

I'm going to speak to my LLC and see what she says. Will keep you posted!!!

"Although drinking beer was once recommended to help a mother relax and stimulate her milk supply, two studies found that after mothers consumed alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer, the babies whose mothers received the alcoholic beer nursed more frequently but consumed less milk than the babies whose mothers consumed the non-alcoholic beer." (Mennella and Beauchamp 1993; Carlson 1985).
    The Breastfeeding Answer Book. Page 598. La Leche League International. 3rd revised edition.

I believe that beer will offer no boost to your milk supply, and in fact requires more work for your baby with less gain.

However it does state that an occasional drink will do no harm. The peak transfer period into milk is 30 to 60 minutes after consumption. 60 to 90 minutes if taken with food. It also passes out of your system and milk quickly. A 120 pound woman eliminates a single serving of beer/wine in around 2-3 hours. I don't believe any pumping and dumping is necessary. Nurse first have a drink, then wait. Pretty simple.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; August 2nd, 2007 at 01:34 AM.

Thank you carpentergirl for clearing that up for me. I also spoke to my local LLC and she also said any alcohol is a definate no-no!!!

glad I found this thread, I heard about this recently but was like what about the alcohol!??!?!?!?! I think if I have supply issues I'll just stick to good ole fenugreek sure did the trick for me
    Melanie, Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to Gavin (3-16-06) and Brent Ryan (7-02-09) & Cody (2-13-98)
    (FSOT... I have feedback, just PM me )
    MGR ~ A Day in the Life~All You Need is Love~Coastal Creations~Outnumbered Momma