Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis and clogs

Angry mastitis and clogs

I am home with mastitis today. Had it twice with my first child early on and then nursed her until 15 months with no recurrence. Now, with my second child at 3 mo. I am again having my second case of mastitis. Last night went to bed with chills and today have very tender breast. Feels like there is a clog bc I feel a firm spot inside where it's sore. I just keep nursing and nursing from the affected side, but even with warm compresses it is still there. Any tips on surviving this and preventing future occurrences? I feel like I'm really careful about tight bras, and nursing on one side until drained, and changing out nursing pads. Could there be another reason I am susceptible?

Default Re: mastitis and clogs

I've never had mastitis, but I have a problem with hard, sore places you described. They usually disappear within a couple of days but I am careful to feed a lot on that side, massage, try to hand express and use warm compresses. Mine tend to correspond I think to a bleb or blister on my nipple. If mine is really bad and won't go away with pumping and a lot of nursing I will sometimes carefully poke a hole in the blister to let the milk drain with a sterilized needle, although I've heard that can sometimes lead to an infection which is worse. So I'm super paranoid about sterilization and don't do that often. If you don't have a bleb then you might have a plugged duct, and the massage and warm compresses should help push it out. Maybe someone else has more experiences with those, though. Edited: there's a good thread going on another forum about plugged ducts that should help.
    Last edited by MichelleE; July 31st, 2007 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling better as far as the fever goes and seem to have my energy back just fine. So maybe it is just a clog because I do still have a tender spot and it feels firm inside. It is not red.
    I'll give it a few days and try more warm compresses. I have been nursing a lot on that side and it doesn't seem to be making much milk. Maybe some of it is caught up in the clog. Thanks again.

Run a bath as warm as your LO can stand and jump in and nurse in the warm water. The combination of heat and nursing helped me through it!
    Also, massage the sore spot while you are nursing. Hope you feel better soon!