Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping to freeze

Default Pumping to freeze

My daughter is 3 months old (today) I need to return to work within the next few weeks. I am wondering, how do I continue to feed her and still pump enough to freeze? I find I can pump 5 oz first thing in the a.m. from one side (leaving the other for her to have when she wakes up). During the rest of the day I can't seem to get more than 1 to 2 oz at a time from the opposite side of where she's eating. Am I supposed to pump more frequently? Pump from both sides?? Help!!

Default Re: Pumping to freeze

Hi. I just went back to work myself and I wondered the same thing a few weeks before. I pumped in the morning and the evening after DS nursed, I figured that way he'd get his fill and then I could pump the extra. I wanted to increase my milk supply for the time I went to work and arrived back home so I tried to schedule pumping around those times too. That way DS can nurse and then I can pump and leave him a fresh bottle before I leave in the morning and i'd have a good amount to offer him the evening even if I had just pumped 1/2 hour before. When I first starting pumping I would only get about 2 ozs but after a few days I was able to pump more. I froze everything up till the last 3 days before returning to work and I now have a good reserve supply, just in case the sitter needs extra. The last 3 days I just kept everything the the frig. I figured I needed about six bags, I just counted up about how many times DS usually nurses though the day and added a couple extra just incase he wanted the comfort, since it was the first time he'd be away from me for so long. Everything so far is working out, I pump about every 2-2 1/2 hours and just store that for the next day! Hope this helps!
    Liz

I also wanted to mention that I was never able to pump more than 3 1/2 oz before DS nursed (off both sides) and that's why I was trying to increase my milk supply. You may not need to increase your supply if your getting 5 oz from one side. I hope I was some help to you.

I have found that what I pump at work is about equal to what DD eats during the day. So, I can send her with the milk I expressed the previous day with no freezing involved. This might be an option until you get a supply built up.

Having said that, I realize it's important to have a frozen 'stash.' I think slowly as your baby feeds less often you can start to pump between feeding sessions, which is how I've done it. I really built up my supply by waking in the middle of the night and pumping while my DD slept through the night. I only had to do it for a couple weeks, and had a couple slips where she woke up and wanted to eat and I was empty... I just learned to leave it on the counter til morning just in case I had to feed it to her.

Congrats on your little baby, and good luck going back to work!

Cheers from a fellow Missourian,
    ~Tina~
    mom to Avery Rose 12-09-05