Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skim Milk?

Default Skim Milk?

Anna (15 months) was drinking, or rather attempting to drink, milk from her brother's cup last night. She was making quite a mess so hubby offered her a sippy cup instead. Anna has thus far rejected all sippy cups. Hubby filled the cup with the vitamin D milk we keep on hand just in case she decides that a sippy cup might fit into her plans. She took a drink, spit the milk all over herself and flung the cup away with a thoroughly disgusted/irritated look on her face.

Confused as to why she was rejecting the very liquid she had just been consuming from her brother's cup, we realized that the milk in his cup was skim, not vitamin D. We refilled her cup with skim milk and voila! She drank the whole thing.

We are in absolutely no hurry to get her weaned so I guess I am not concerned about this preference. She still nurses quite a bit so I feel comfortable that she is getting adequate fat and nutrition, I just find it really interesting that she prefers skim milk to whole milk.

I am overdue to get her in for her 15 month check so it will be interesting to see how she is doing weight wise. She has been 25th percentile for most of her life. We have not yet been hassled to wean by her pediatritian, but they do ask about her diet which, aside from breastmilk, is not impressive. At least now I can honestly say that she is drinking cow's milk. She is still very much nurishing herself via the breast so I am interested as to how her size compares at this point.

Actually, I have to say that I am quite pleased that she refuses whole milk in favor of skim. If anyone every hassles me about nursing her for so long, I can just tell them that she needs to fat content and she refuses to drink whole milk.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

Default Re: Skim Milk?

Maybe she thought the skim milk was water

Just curious why you were calling whole milk vitamin D milk? Skim milk has vitamin D as well.

At my son's 24 month well visit, the ped told us to switch to skim and it was the best advice we ever got. My SIL (who gives her kids 2%) critisized me for this, but he gets enough fat from other foods (and nursed until 32 months or so),

Default Re: Skim Milk?

I don't know...that is how it is labeled in the store, as either vitamin D or skim.

We switched all of our kids to skim at 24 months, but the peds were adamant that they be given whole (vitamin D, high fat content milk) until they turned 2. Something about proper brain developement and the fat content. Anna does not eat enough solid food to get that fat content from anywhere else so I am really glad she is still nursing.

If I had offered one of my boys skim milk at Anna's age, 15 months, they would have spit THAT across the room. Maybe she does think it is water and she is just rejecting the odd tasting milk?
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th