Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: frozen milk

Default Re: frozen milk

Quote Originally Posted by superbabe621
    I don't know about frozen milk, but I did hear some stuff about refrigerated breast milk. They say once you warm it up, you should use it all at once. However, when there's left over stuff we always just stick it back in the fridge to be warmed up later. Sometimes the milk's been warmed 3-4 times. Although my son is only two months old, he's healthier than ever and growing just fine. In fact, he went from being only in the tenth percentile at birth to being in the 95th percentile at one month; and now he's within the 50th percentile at 12lbs 6.4oz and 23". Good luck!
    Hi. I'm new to the forum, although I've been reading posts for some months now. I am exclusively pumping and feeding our daughter with a bottle. She is not consistent in the amount she eats at one time, so we often re-feed her from the same bottle. We especially do this at night. I just read somewhere else that once she's used a nipple we should throw out any milk she doesn't drink. Although, I am building up a good supply of milk, it would pain me to have to start throwing milk away.

Is the consensus from other people and the experts that we should not be doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by superbabe621
    Actually, I heard that freshly expressed breast milk can only be left out for 4 hours.
    According to Lasinoh and The First Years, it can be left out at room temperature for 10 hours. I think that would mean at 68 degrees. Obviously now that it's warming up, I don't think it would be wise to leave out freshly expressed breastmilk for 10 hours at 90 degrees but at 68 I think it's okay. Just thought I would clarify where and what I was seeing

I got this from the BAB:

At room temperature

60º - 24hrs
    66-72º - 10hrs
    79º - 4-6hrs
    86-100º - 4hrs