Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frozen milk

Default frozen milk

Once I take out the milk from freezer and keep it on the lower part of the fridge to let it thaw for 24 hours, then warm it up - should all the milk be used up at once? I know preferably it should, but can I re-refrigerate (not freeze) any remainder milk to use within the next 24 hours? Thanks.

Default Re: frozen milk

I do. It certainly helps it not to go to waste when it turns out DD isn't as hungry as we thought!

As long as you use it whitin the next 24 hrs, it should be o.k.

You can re-use (or offer again) previously frozen milk within 24 hours??? I have read that you can re-offer fresh milk as long as it is within 4 hours, but that you could not re-offer previously frozen milk as most of the antibodies have been destroyed. I am so confused about all of these rules for breastmilk/breastfeeding. Can someone please clarify? I have been telling my daycare providers not to re-offer the previously frozen milk, so they have been discarding it if DS doesn't not finish. Alot of milk has been wasted!

I kind of miss the warm it up part, when I read the first time I kind thought that like for example: she defrost 10 oz. at the same time, use 6 oz. warm them up and keep the rest on the fridge for the next 24 hrs, then it should be OK, but if the case is she warmed the entire 10 oz, give them to the BB and save the left over, then disregard my first post.
    Like you I've seen some saying that you can/can't, so I'm getting a lil confused too, but I'll go with the safer side of not doing it. I've quite a few books about BF, but although they talk about frozen BM, they don't put out all the differences situations mothers might encounter. I based my answer on what I've read on the books. I sure hope a LLL-Leader give us an answer to this!

Hey I found this in another post! Is not exactly what we are looking for, but it's kind of related. It was written by a Leader, hope she don't mind I've posted in here :
    There's no reason that you can't send a bottle or two back the next day if baby doesn't drink it all one day, that's fine, as long as baby hasn't already started drinking from it. The Food Program won't let providers reuse bottles that have already been given to a baby, due to bacterial contamination. However, there have been no big studies done on breastmilk and how long it takes for bacteria to take over the bottle. Studies have been done on formula, and that's pretty gross (bacteria are growing before typical baby finishes an 8oz bottle), but breastmilk tends to kill bacteria, so it's not such a problem. USDA regulations, though. Ugh.

I've been reading in several different places that freshly expressed breast milk can be left out at room temperature for 10 hours. Based on this, I've interpreted that breast milk is pretty safe to use later if it's been thawed. I think I read somewhere that frozen milk that's been thawed is good for 24 hours after so I would think that if it's been heated, as long as you use it relatively soon I don't think it would be a problem. Just my opinion. Breast milk is pretty stable so I'm not overly concerned about it.

I don't know about frozen milk, but I did hear some stuff about refrigerated breast milk. They say once you warm it up, you should use it all at once. However, when there's left over stuff we always just stick it back in the fridge to be warmed up later. Sometimes the milk's been warmed 3-4 times. Although my son is only two months old, he's healthier than ever and growing just fine. In fact, he went from being only in the tenth percentile at birth to being in the 95th percentile at one month; and now he's within the 50th percentile at 12lbs 6.4oz and 23". Good luck!

Actually, I heard that freshly expressed breast milk can only be left out for 4 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by hcary48101
    I've been reading in several different places that freshly expressed breast milk can be left out at room temperature for 10 hours. Based on this, I've interpreted that breast milk is pretty safe to use later if it's been thawed. I think I read somewhere that frozen milk that's been thawed is good for 24 hours after so I would think that if it's been heated, as long as you use it relatively soon I don't think it would be a problem. Just my opinion. Breast milk is pretty stable so I'm not overly concerned about it.

Here's a link and it basically just repeats what everyone said already but it's got a good chart. The second one is a pdf version of the same chart you can print for quick reference. Hope that helps!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...kstorage01.pdf