Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone? premie info

Default anyone? premie info

born at 35 weeks.... hospital stay? how long? bf? lung problems? what goes on when they are born this early?

Default Re: anyone? premie info

Have you started to try and express breast milk?

Hello...

My LO was born at 33 weeks and a couple days. She never needed any help with breathing at all and had a 23 day NICU stay. She was tube fed initially, but once they were able to nipple feed I was able to BF as well. It's difficult at first, depending on their suck/interest, but it definitely pays off. My LO was over an hour away and we would go everyday, but I was only able to BF here one feeding a day because I would have to get back home for my older child, however... when we came home, it was only a couple of days before we were exclusively breast feeding. HTH!

Edited: Oh... she was 3lbs, 11oz at birth and is now 7 weeks old and is 6lbs 6oz!

my son was also born at 33 weeks. he was 5lbs and 4oz. he had to be tube fed for a while and got a slight jaundice. he was in the NICU for 2 weeks. i was there everyday and pumped milk so they wouldn't have to supplement. when he could eat on his own, they let us go finally.. they said to supplement with formula so he would gain weight faster. i wanted him to breastfeed exclusively so the formula was out of the question. he gained weight super fast, so all he needed was me and my milk.

he was also born with tetralogy of falot, which is an abnormality of the heart which required open heart surgery when he got a lil bigger (4mo) (that was scary.) he recovered well from his surgery and never wanted their bottles.. he only ate when i was there so he didn't have to stay long in the hospital.. he's now 2 and still loves mama's milk.. i'm actually ready to stop BFing, but i'll wait til he's ready.

you might not have anything at all to worry about, but i know you want to be prepared for anything. good luck, and God bless!!

Hey there, my son was born at 34 weeks and 5 days. How long your LO stays really depends on his condition at birth and that can vary greatly at this gestation. My son was 7 pounds 5 ounces but he was VERY ill. We came close to loosing him the night he was born. He spent a month in the NICU on two different kinds of vents.

I pumped the entire time he was in the NICU. They would give him my milk through his tubes. Often I sat next to his bed to pump. I held him for the first time when he was 2 weeks old. I just held him on my bare chest, it was the most wonderful day of my entire life. He would nurse just a tiny bit here and there, we did not start actively persuing nursing until he came home.

Not intending to scare you, but to give you a realistic look at what is possible. Babies can do great and go straight home at this gestation or they can be very ill.

Have you already delivered early or are you probably going to? I had no choice but to deliver my son early via c-section.
    http://thesfamilychronicles.blogspot.com

"At the heart of motherhood is the kind of satisfaction unequalled in any other profession on earth."
    -Tina Neidlein

Isaac- 1/1/01 Nursed only 4 months, had no idea what I was doing.
    Nathan- 4/28/03 preemie, 1 month NICU stay and still managed exclusive nursing for 6 months, better.
    Anna- 4/15/06 Self weaned just after turning 3.
    Baby girl due May 14th

bump... anyone else?

My twins were born 34w2d. They had minimal problems. They were on O2 hoods for a day. Stayed in the special care nursery for a few days. After that, they were in open cribs and I was able to room in with them. And fortunately, we didn't have any lung problems. So, total hospital stay was about 7 days.

As far as bf'ing, I ended up having to pump. One of my boys would not latch on. And they were losing too much weight (they told me that the actual act of bf'ing burns up more energy than bottlefeeding does, so I pumped and they got bottles) But, he finally latched on at 6 weeks and we've been bf'ing ever since (they are 9 1/2 months now)

And also, because they were born early, they were a little late reaching milestones. One of my boys is pretty much caught up to his chronological age, but my other boy is still a bit behind and is receiving services through ECI.
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

i had my first at 29 wks and she came out crying she would forget to breath but they just stimulate them but this far along mama u dont have to worry....i had my other two at 35 wks and they were fine...

Moving this to the preemie forum.
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

bump again..... My doc is freaking me out.... i went into "preterm labor" at 30 weeks... even though i think i was just receving nerve shocks from my baby dropping early. I was however 1-2 cm and 40% effaced... doesn't that happen early all the time though? now i have made it to *35* weeks and she keeps telling me that if i don't lay down 24/7 i am going to have him... Imposible to lay down though, i have a 2 year old.