Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can you overfeed your baby?

Default Can you overfeed your baby?

I have a 19 wk baby. She was 7 wks prem but is very well and healthy. She has been on 4 ounces for about a month and all of a sudden she has moved up to 6 to 7 ounces in a week. Is this normal? Can you overfeed a baby on breast milk? I am exclusively pumping thats how I know how much she takes. I dont really want her to be very chubby-fat- like some other breastfed babies i see. Do babies just naturally put on the weight and not get overfed or get greedy? Help.

Default Re: Can you overfeed your baby?

Babies get chubby (on breastmilk or formula) as part of a natural cycle. Basically the baby puts on weight in preparation for growth spurts. I have noticed my LO getting chubby, then he grows and thins out and then gets chubby again. When they get over a year they tend to thin out even more (because they are running around like crazy).

Additionally, breastfed babies are much less likely to be chubby adults...
    Last edited by syn_ack89; August 1st, 2007 at 05:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

I would guess not but I do not know for sure. At 3 weeks of age my LO was under weight. The in her 4th week of life ahe gained almost 1 pound (from 5.4lbs to 6.3 lbs). She is not a 10 month old 20 pound chubby leg girl and the doc said it is fine! He said she will walk off the weight when she becomes more active.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Well my preemie porker is a happy,well adjusted munchkin who is doing a lot better than anyone expected.Why?breastmilk. He gets what he needs and wants,including momtime.
    I get that you dont want her to be chubby, but if she was early and underweight, I would welcome her chubbiness, especilly since as mud said,itll melt off.
    I believe though that she probably had a growth spurt and thats why shes moved up.

That's quite a bit! Could you check your bottle nipples to be sure they are not wearing out? Over time, the holes get bigger and that can cause baby to take in more.

Also, how frequently is she eating in a day?

Quote Originally Posted by belly-ice View Post
    I have a 19 wk baby. She was 7 wks prem but is very well and healthy. She has been on 4 ounces for about a month and all of a sudden she has moved up to 6 to 7 ounces in a week. Is this normal? Can you overfeed a baby on breast milk? I am exclusively pumping thats how I know how much she takes. I dont really want her to be very chubby-fat- like some other breastfed babies i see. Do babies just naturally put on the weight and not get overfed or get greedy? Help.
    All babies are different, I have nine now and breast fed all. Some of my babies got chubby and some not at all. This was not due to any change because I exclusively bf. Never worry about a chubby baby, worry about a baby who seems to be starving.
    My children rang in age from 15 yrs all the way to 7 mon and I don't have a single chubby child. It's all in what you feed your baby when she begins solids, to encourage healthy eating habits.
    If a baby overeats, which can happen, their food usually come right back up. Enjoy your little one and try not to analyze to much.

Normally your baby will tell you when she's full. I wouldn't worry about having a chubby baby especially if she was preemie. My preemie was born 11 weeks early and I pumped for 3 months until she began exclusively breastfeeding. She's a big healthy baby, 24 lbs at 13 months. She weighed 3 lbs when she was born and the peds are ecstatic about her weight. She's losing weight now that she's moving around which will happen when your child gets bigger. I agree with the post above, if they eat too much they'll spit up. Ask your ped. about what he/she thinks how much breastmilk she should have at one feeding. Good luck.

I wonder that sometimes myself. My DS will eat and eat, right after nursing with no end in sight. I think he could put away more than I can at 18 months old! He is a skinny little guy too. So my consensus is nope!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet