Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YUCK! Pump in Bathroom! What?

Default YUCK! Pump in Bathroom! What?

So, I am a teacher and fixing to go back to school. To make a long story short. My Principal retired and I lost a past BF mom as an Assistant Principal...Lots of things are changing...I almost lost my job at the school and almost got transferred to another school because I am not certified in something else that they want me to teach...Then today I asked if my room was still available like last year on my conference...Sometimes our rooms are used on our off periods by floating teachers...The Assistant Principal that for some reason does not like me (the only one left at my school since everyone else is new) let me know that she probably put someone in my room...She says likely...I asked her where I would be able to pump...Then she says with a smirk...

"We can put a comfy chair in the bathroom down the hall...It is big enough for one."

What the ****...Is she serious? I told her I would not do that, I let her know that it is unsanitary and gross...She said hmmm and walked off...

I know she doesn't like me for some reason...She already got others transferred so I hear...I guess I am the only one left!

Can they give me the BATHROOM?????????????????
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

Default Re: YUCK! Pump in Bathroom! What?

go over her head!
    There's got to be somebody higher then her.

Has anyone had to ever pump at work? Or has any of your bosses ever suggested it?
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

I persoanlly don't think going over a rude boss's head is the way to go. I think that if you approach her and calmly say "I was thinking about what you said the other day about pumping in the bathroom, and I really didn't know if you were joking or being serious. That said, understand that pumping breastmilk can not be equated to the excrementation of bodily fluids or feces, and I'd really prefer to keep my child's nutrition separate. Is there any way we could work out an arrangement suitable to us both."
    People aren't heartless or malicious, they just need to be educated. Offer a suggestion of another place where you could go, like a teacher's lounge or even the prinicipal's office (ha ha). If you offer a suggestion, it may take the pressure off of her to find someplace for you.
    I hope that helps!

I would go out to my car before I pumped in the bathroom.
    I have to use someone's office to pump since I dont have my own, once in awhile I wont have a space to pump and I'll have to wait or go to my car. I had a co-worker suggest the bathroom. I said, hmm well how about we go in there during lunch and discuss why that's a bad idea.
    I guess the bathroom is where you do "private" things, so people who dont know the logistics of pumping assume it's no biggie.
    Sounds like this maybe more of her trying to get back at you or a side effect of something else. I'd go above her as well.

i'll be in my car! but i've decided i will like it. it'll be completely alone. nobody will be able to knock, look for me, nothing. i'll be putting on my ac and radio and relaxing.

i'm nak, but will respond more later.
    that sucks... can you pump in a book room?
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Thanks for all your replies...I am hoping that some of my other friends will have the same conference as me and their rooms will be empty...If all else fails I will pump in my car BEFORE I pump in a bathroom...I also will not pump in the nurses area again like I did last year during TAKS...

First, a student opened the curtain where I was pumping and I am worried about all of the germs...

I will find my own place I just was hoping that she would consider my sit...

AND all of our offices and closets are used for classrooms now...They basically fill every space in our school with someone...

is almost certain it is not legal for her to make you pump in the bathroom . There is a link on this website....don't know where exactly. Check into it and Definitely let your boss know that not only will you not pump in the b room but let him know that it is not legal,
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

I always pumped in the bathroom at work. I just sat on a toilet in the stall. It was gross (especially since it was also my only time to eat lunch), but it was a sacrafice I was willing to make for my baby. Hope that you can find a better place.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?