Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaking and Grunting in Sleep

Default Squeaking and Grunting in Sleep

My LO is definitely a challenge. I feel so unprepared with all the things he has thrown me. My little one has given me a couple of choking scares, but the major thing that has me baffled is his night time antics. when he is not in his deep sleep in which he is so still and quiet that I am checking for his breathing, he squeaks grunts and sounds like he is clearing his throat all the time. Sometimes it almost sounds as if he is dealing with some respiratory issues. I have looked into reflux... he spits up on occasion, but that doesn't seem to bother him and even being placed on an incline he still seems to grunt and groan. He is really burpy and typically gives us one huge man-sized burps after eating (and he breast feeds)... but i think i could continue to pat him and be able to burp him from the time he stops eating to the next feeding and he would still have something to burp. Sometimes the grunts in his sleep sound like the good 'ole making mom and dad a huge present grunts, but they happen so often that i feel like he isn't getting very good sleep at night and there is no way that he is making that many presents. Is this normal? I have never heard such a noisy little guy, but then again i haven't been around many newborns. My husband and I have almost coined him our little dinosaur... with all the grunts and groans and then when i move him when he is eating he makes a sound like those raptors on Jurassic Park (that is the cute noise he makes..lol) i just don't know if I am being a paranoid first time mom or if I am seeing a reflux problem. I hate the idea of putting him on medicine and want to do what i can to solve the problem naturally. (I didn't do natural birth to put him on medication now and it seems that so many are getting put on medicine and I wonder if it is just a quick fix!)

Default Re: Squeaking and Grunting in Sleep

Oh, by the way, my son is just over 4 weeks.

My LO is noisy (usually when she's rooting around for a nipple!! ). I don't know for sure if what you are describing is normal, but I can say that your description(s) gave me a very well needed laugh!!! (My kids are driving me batty today!! ). Thanks for the chuckle!!!!!

My LO doesn't do this as often anymore, but she squeaks and grunts in her sleep. She used to make this noise that sounded like she was meowing. Every once in a while I still hear it. It cracks me up. I don't know if your LO will stop doing it quite so often eventually like mine, or if he'll continue to make his little noises. I guess as long as he doesn't really seem bothered by it, there isn't anything to worry about.
    The burps are funny. Abby burps a lot too. Usually burping her doesn't help at all. She just has to get it out on her own. It mostly happens when I go to pick her up...She also spits up every now and then.

As I said before, as long as your LO doesn't seem to be bothered, then I guess let it be.

Mine does this too! Everyone says he's noisy and when my husband was gone out of town for work I told him how he sounded like the raptors on Jurassic Park too! It's cute, sometimes annoying, and the reason that DH and I don't sleep in the same room anymore!

My 4 week old son does the same. I asked the pediatrician about it and he says it's pretty normal. He also makes a lot of noise when he tries to poo at night... so loud as if he's having the world's worst constipation (which he doesn't have) and sounds painful. Sometimes he does this for an hour, making it impossible for us to sleep. I breastfeed, feed him expressed milk and sometimes supplement with formula. It seems like the grunting is worse when he's had formula.

My lo is now 3 mos. and does not do the grunting and squeaking anymore, but you definitely brought a smile to my lips thinking back to that time- which was only a few weeks ago. They certainly change fast! I wouldn't worry about it unless he seems really bothered by it. I remember thinking she sounded like she was in pain, and I was also concerned, but I think she just out-grew it. Maybe it is just an immature digestive system doing its work?

My lo (8 weeks) does this too. I have heard that it is him digesting his food, but I haven't found that anywhere in writing. He seems to be getting louder at night (at least the last two nights) but he is also eating a lot more. I am only BFing, but he is up every hour to hour and a half after his first 3 hour sleep. It seems that the grunting gets worse as the night goes on. I have found that if my husband or I lay him on our chest to sleep, then he stops it and we all get more rest. Of course, my husband can sleep right through it, but I wake at every sound. I have thought about having my lo start to sleep in his room, btu I'm not ready to go there yet.

So, I think that it is normal. I'm not too worried about it as he has been doing it since he was born. I am excited to hear from the pp that it does go away, or did in their case. I guess we can enjoy all the little noises now because they grow so fast. Hope this helps.

I hope it's normal because my 5 week old is a champion grunter, too. He grunts, growls, snores, snorts and gets red in the face---sometimes all while sleeping. I think it's just a baby thing, though some definitely do it more than others.
    At first I definitely thought his tummy hurt, or it was a sign of indigestion, now I realize it's just something he does. Maybe he is trying to digest something, but I don't think it's painful. Just noisy

Aw....I MISS those little newborn noises! Sounds normal to me! All 3 of my kids did that, too.