Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply problems?

Default Supply problems?

Just made it to 4 wks with my daughter. The other night, she didn't sleep during the day and cried several times until we could comfort her that night. She seemed hungry and if we let her, probably would've fed or suckled all night. We broke down around midnight and gave her formula and she slept until 6am. I've tried pumping, but can only get a little more than a total of 2 oz from both breasts, but she can now finish about 4 oz of formula in one feeding! What do I do?!

Default Re: Supply problems?

How is the baby's wet and dirty diapers? How is her weight gain? How often does she nurse?

I won't get too worried just yet. Pumps are not as effective at removing milk as the baby. If you can pump 2 ounces, that doesn't mean baby is only getting 2 ounces. She is probably getting more.

Diapers seem to be fine. She nurses every two to three hours. Should I alternate formula and breastfeeding? Or should I just follow my daughter's lead?

its normal for them to have periods when they want to nurse alot and cluster feed. Growth spurts happen alot when they are little.
    The more bottles you feed the less milk you will make, they can also learn to like the bottle better than your breast and then refuse the breast.
    bottles are also easy for them to get milk out of, they will continue to drink milk because they have a high need to suck, they will suck and swallow and its more like a reflex then needing all that formula out of the bottle.
    Nursing on demand can be hard to figure out when your baby is little you'll get the hang of it! Each baby is differnt but by 6 weeks it should be getting easier on you. Do you have a local lll group? A local leader could help you figure out if your supply is low.

I think your supply is probably fine; I would recommend NOT using formula or it could cause your milk supply to drop. A baby's intake of breastmilk is about 19-30 ounces per day between one and six months. If you pumped 2 ounces two hours after a feeding, there is no reason for concern.

My DS had periods of fussiness. It started about 2-3 weeks and got a little worse until he was six weeks. After that it did start to get better. Now he's 4 months old and I'm learning that he often is fussy because he's overtired.
    Last edited by jentut; May 10th, 2006 at 07:32 PM.

Check out "What is normal baby fussiness?"

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

Here's a link for 11 ways to soothe a fussy baby. I hope this helps:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp
    Last edited by jentut; May 11th, 2006 at 01:39 PM.

Thank you very much! You've all been very helpful!