Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and the older baby

Default OALD and the older baby

I have a 6 mo. old that has managed through my OALD that I didn't know existed until today! She can handle the spray now that she's older, but she has assumed a general disinterest in nursing. When she was little, she would scream and choke and barf and have a hard time eating. I didn't know that it was my problem that could be fixed, so we suffered through it. Now she rarely eats when we are out and she is best at eating when we are laying in bed and she's half asleep. Infact I work very hard to sneak feedings during nap time and at night. She has no interest in comfort feeding to add insult to injury, she loves solids! She seems like she would gladly trade a boob for baby oatmeal any day.
    So my question is this: is it too late to adjust her to pleasant breastfeeding? Now that I know what I can do to make it more pleasant, will she be able to overcome the last 6 months of neccessary torture and learn to love the boob?
    ps. My first baby nursed for 2 years and loved loved loved it. I'd like to nurse #2 as long as that, but she seems to be setting herself up for early weening which I really do not want!

Default Re: OALD and the older baby

Hello and Welcome!!

No, it is not too late for you and your little girl to adjust to more pleasant breastfeeding. You are not the only mother out there who has toughed it out through months of uncomfortable breastfeeding only to realize later on that she is dealing with an oversupply problem. It sounds like you are already instinctively putting some of the strategies into practice. Nursing laying down, for instance.

Are you familiar with how block-feeding works? That would be a good strategy to try at this point. Limiting baby to one breast for several hours at a time can really tame oversupply/OALD.

It also seems to me that some of what you are struggling with is typical of babies your daughters age. Mobility and distractability, combined with an interest in solids, can convince some mothers that baby is ready to wean. This is usually not the case, and most babies who are encouraged to nurse more often through this distractable phase will continue to nurse through the rest of the first year and beyond, if mother so chooses. Try offering to nurse before offering solids, when baby is tired, or at any other time you think she could use a break from her activity.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana