Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nighttime issues - looking for some support

Default nighttime issues - looking for some support

In my husband's and my immediate and extended families, babies sleep for 6 hour stretches long before 6 weeks (sometimes as early as 2 wks). We are very close knit and well adjusted people (at least *we* think so) who breastfeed well. The only thing is that in our family we traditionally do not co-sleep. DH and I are the first to go down this route (we bed share with our very large and well-fed 6 week old daughter). When I was pregnant I read all the books, spoke with my fellow natural-living-type friends, and imagined blissfully co-sleeping the night away. So, imagine my surprise to be blessed with an infant who (apparently like most infants?), rouses every three hours to eat at night. This is really hard on me as I am full-time PhD student who, 6 weeks from now (when school starts), will need to reclaim my memory and concentration!

While I've read this is "normal", I truly feel like we are the only folks in our world with a baby who won't sleep for at least a 6 hour stretch. When I turn to them for advice, everyone of my friends and family whom I've asked (15 people now) say that basically they were just "lucky" and that their baby slept through the night before two months. Even my friends who understand the mechanics of breast feeding got more sleep.

The only difference I can see between "us" and "them" is that we are the only ones who continue to co-sleep - everyone else (whether they planned to co-sleep initially or not) had the baby in another room after a month.

Does anyone have similar experiences?
    Last edited by jcclowen; July 28th, 2007 at 03:11 AM. Reason: remove "smiley face" icon

Default Re: nighttime issues - looking for some support

Yes. We have a 13 mo. old babe who still doesn't sleep for more than 4 hours at a time (excluding the 3 nights in the last year of freakishly long slumber ) But my older kids, who werent bf as long and didn't co sleep past 8 mo or so, didnt sleep long stretches either.

At least, it seems, your support group isn't harassing you for your choices. Thats quite refreshing! (hope I didn't misinterperet that part)

I think it is related to the co-sleeping, but if you are enjoying it, just do what you can to manage. ()

good luck and, as the sign reads - Welcome
    Last edited by Number3; July 28th, 2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typos
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

How old is your baby?
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Remember that babies tummies are very small and bm is digested sooo easily that it goes through them quickly. Therefore, they wake to eat more often than those that are fed artifical baby milk. My experience was even after I weaned my oldest he still awoke frequently. Sorry this is becoming an issue! How old is the baby? Hang in there!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

BF and co-sleeping babies do wake more often but it's actually a built-in safety mechanism. they don't sleep as deeply so they are affected by movement and noise more easily. this actually helps PROTECT them against SIDS. When co-sleeping is practiced safely, there is actually a lower rate of SIDS than compared with crib-sleeping babies (in another room).

6 weeks is very young! My 9 month old still wakes 2-4 times per night. My advice is to go to bed early and try to learn how to nurse lying down if you don't already do it (we don't though, never felt comfy to me).

Another thing to consider: Your baby may sleep great in a crib in another room if you try, but many babies don't and their parents resort to sleep training/cry-it-out methods. this is very time consuming and stressful (for mom and baby) and probably would cause you to miss as much sleep as if you wake up a few times per night to feed your baby with her in your own bed. Also, as her stomach gets bigger she may start sleeping longer.

You may want to try expanding "your world". Have you looked to see if there is a LLL group in your area? You could also search online for attachment parenting groups in your area. You can find lots of parents who co-sleep and are dealing with the same issues you are dealing with!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

EVERY BABY IS DIFFERENT!! My dd was on formula and sleep all night... at 3 weeks...but that's b/c it takes so long for formula to digest!!! I have found that my baby likes to be semi-close to me... meaning in the same room....he wakes constantly when he sleeps w/ hubby and me... so he sleeps in our room, but not our bed....

I was a jr. in college when I had my DD and by the time I returned to school, she was off her cycle again... it's hard, but you can do it.... you have to really work around babies scehdule... I found tons of toys CDs and (I know some may disagree w/me) DVD's that keep her busy while I study at 30 min intervals.... I tried to sleep (not study) when she sleep...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I had a slightly different experience with bf and co-sleeping. DS began by sleeping in a bassinet type thing next to our bed. He would wake up about every two hours to eat. When he was maybe 6 weeks old ( I don't remember exactly how old now, it might have been younger), I started pulling him into bed on the nights when DH had the overnight shift at work, since it made nursing easier. When we co-slept like that, he would sleep two or three times as long. He's four months now, and he usually sleeps in his bassinet until his first feeding of the morning (about 4am). He currently sleeps a five or six hour stretch, usually from about 10pm to 4am.

I think all babies are different. One thing I can say is that if you co-sleep and can easily nurse lying down, it might not matter much to you that he isn't sleeping through the night. People ask me, and I honestly can't remember most days if he woke up an extra time to feed or not. I don't really think co-sleeping has a huge effect on night waking, it just depends on the baby.

i am happy when my ds sleeps 4 hours in the night. he's 10 weeks. though i do see him sleep better in the bassinett then when i bring him into the bed with me. he goes down in there at about 10:30/11:00, wakes most of the time between 3:00/4:00. then he feeds and i let him lay with me from then until morning. i think it's because i don't sleep as sound as usual when he is laying with me so maybe he senses that and in turn doesn't sleep well himself.

My dd is 10 weeks old and has just now started to change her sleep pattern. She is starting to sleep for 5-6 hour stretches through the night, but it doesn't happen every night! I just go with the flow and let her dictate to me when she wants to eat. We don't co-sleep although there are some nights we will let her sleep in her car seat because she has reflux and being propped up to sleep is more comfortable for her and she sleeps much longer in the car seat!

I have been co-sleeping with my LO since he was born and we were home from the hospital. And I got some nights where he slept 5-7 hours throughout the night. But most of the time I was up 2-3 times a night feeding him. Last night I got like 7 and a half hours of sleep! But every baby is different and I'm sure eventually he'll start to sleep through the night. But at 6 weeks it was a rare blessing to have him sleep a nice long stretch at night. It can happen with co-sleeping though.