Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is up with that?

Default What is up with that?

My ds has slept thru the night (no feedings from 8 or 9 pm to 5 or 6 am) since 2 months. Last week he started fussing at the breast...suck suck scream, suck suck scream. He has been drooling like a faucet for about a month. Last night my husband got up with him around midnight. After a while I couldnt sleep because of the screaming. Dh said he was tugging at his ears. It was a hungry cry so I nursed him. He latched on and wouldnt let go! I thought he was gonna suck my nipple off. Then he screamed a little while more when I was empty but eventually went back to sleep. Then the same thing all over again at 4 am!!! No fever. So basically since 8pm yesterday his schedule has been 8pm, 12am, 4am, 8am, 12pm, now its almost 4 again. He barely napped this morning but now has been sleeping for 3 hours (which he did yesterday as well). I dont know if he's teething, having a growth sput or what is going on. He used to eat 5 times during the day like clockwork...I guess we'll see what happens tonight. In the meantime, if you all have any suggestions or ideas as to whats going on with him that would be great!

Default Re: What is up with that?

I would think it's just a change of schedule. They do that to ya sometimes. Hang in there

(FWIW - my son has tugged on his ears since he could reach them and he has no problems with them... sometimes, if they are teething, it can be referred pain )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yeah, I'm not worried about ear infection because he was just checked at the docs a week and a half ago. Plus its less likely with bf babies. But did read it can be a symptom with teething. Has this happened to anyone else - sleeping thru the night for a while then reverting back to eating at night?

DS isn't sleeping through the night anymore either I blame it on teething. He's having a lot of the same symptoms you listed. Last night after finally getting him down he woke up 45 min. later and screamed for 30 minutes. He's back to eating about twice a night. He seems to fall asleep quickly after some tylenol but won't stay asleep. So far today he's had one 40 minute nap. He just went down though so we'll see.
    Sorry I don't have any great advice or tricks, just sympathy and a strong desire for an iced venti white mocha

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

And he's up! A whopping 20 minutes. Teething really bites!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I feel for you. You are probably a little farther along with it than we are. I heard Hylan teething tablets are great. But couldnt find them at walmart or the grocery store. Was told to try the whole foods store...not one around here though...

I feel for you. You are probably a little farther along with it than we are. I heard Hylan teething tablets are great. But couldnt find them at walmart or the grocery store. Was told to try the whole foods store...not one around here though...

My LO didn't sleep through the night that early, so I don't personally have any experience with that. However, I had several friends who had babies about the same time as me whose LO slept through the night very early on, and they all experienced an upheaval at around 4 months. So, while I'm not quite sure what causes it (I think there's something about their ability to regulate themselves more at that age -- maybe I read that in one of our sleep books??), I do know it isn't unusual.

My LO did cut his first tooth at 3 1/2 months (well, that's when it finally poked through -- he'd been drooling for almost a month before that!), so yeah - been there. Hope it gets better soon!
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

This definitely sounds like teething my dd did the same thing when she got her first teeth. The teething tablets are call HYLAND'S and I know we have them in our Wal Mart next to the bottles and binkies. They work for a short while of relief, as well as Tylenol but I have found that IBUPROFEN works the BEST
    Mommy to gorgeous Ella Jean born 10/6/2006

I know everyone is different but about how long before you actually saw a tooth? And when it did erupt - was there screaming and you knew or does it just happen without warning. Any experience on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also pumping now (2:45am) cuz there hasn't seemed to be enough for him. I had to give him 1.5oz pumped milk when I was empty yesterday. So I'm trying to up my supply a little. His sucking has definitely changed. My nipples are sore and they havent been since early on. Anyone else experince that?