Default Re: Husband and Breastfeeding

why MY husband LOVES breastfeeding.

"I dont have to get up at night"
    "I can sleep and you can feed him"
    "It's free"
    "I dont have to wash bottles"
    "I dont have to make bottles"
    "It's free"

He's said all of this, it's not the warm fuzzy reasons why women breastfeed, but it's really how he feels. Plus you know, all the health reasons
    Now saying this, my husband knew NOTHING about childbirth, breastfeeding, anything before we had children. We took Bradley classes and I think they really helped him see the light.
    My husband won't read research, complained about going to classes at first, but now he says to people who are having babies, "your breastfeeding, right?"

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I just wanted to add my $0.02 in addition to all the great advice and thoughts here. It might help to remind DH that your breasts can still work AND play during the months/years you breastfeed your baby. Plus a few people have mentioned it's free. DH might appreciate "free" better when compared to "$15-$20/can X 4-5 cans each month" depending, if you want to talk to FF families and get their numbers.

I think it's wonderful that you are talking in advance about what you invision for your children! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Pazygozo View Post
    I just wanted to add my $0.02 in addition to all the great advice and thoughts here. It might help to remind DH that your breasts can still work AND play during the months/years you breastfeed your baby. Plus a few people have mentioned it's free. DH might appreciate "free" better when compared to "$15-$20/can X 4-5 cans each month" depending, if you want to talk to FF families and get their numbers.

I think it's wonderful that you are talking in advance about what you invision for your children! Best of luck!
    My sister spends about $100/month on formula and that's with getting 4 free cans a month from WIC

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyscootless
    why MY husband LOVES breastfeeding.

"I dont have to get up at night"
    "I can sleep and you can feed him"
    "It's free"
    "I dont have to wash bottles"
    "I dont have to make bottles"
    "It's free"

He's said all of this, it's not the warm fuzzy reasons why women breastfeed, but it's really how he feels. Plus you know, all the health reasons
    My DH basically expresses the same sentiment, though he will get up once to burp and change the baby at night. When I was preggo, he was not too keen on the idea of BF particularly in public, and he wanted to be able to feed the baby as well. Well, I had to appeal to his economic sense by taking him down the baby aisle at the grocery store so he could see how much formula costs, and after I told him he could feed the baby occasionally after my milk supply was established, he was cool. Now he is my biggest supporter, and he is quick to shut anybody up who even hints against us BF.

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    My sister spends about $100/month on formula and that's with getting 4 free cans a month from WIC

When and if this discussion comes up again, perhaps you could focus on the many health benefits BF has for you personally (quicker weight loss after baby, less chance of post partum depression, etc). That may be more persuasive right now to him than telling him about the benefits to a baby he hasn't yet met/experienced. Good luck to you.

Check out the price of formula and that's if the baby has no allergies or no adversion to regular formula. Special formulas can cost up to twice as much ($50 per week or more), unless you qualify for WIC. WIC is great program, in our town that even offer lactation consultations to anyone, not just those you qualify for the formula.

Just make small goals, tell your hubby that you want to try it for the first week and then build on that from there. Plus, after awhile you can pump and he can bottlefeed so you can get some rest or get out of the house. We often brought along pumped milk for the public when I was with hubby. He was supportive of breastfeeding, but not so much on the public thing. Of course, when it was just me and ds out and about, I did whatever I felt comfortable with.

My husband was not either supportive or against bfing. But when I had thrush the first time and coupldn't bf, I sent him to go get a can of formula. He was shocked at the prices and is more appreciative now!

bump
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

My husband was a breastfed baby and his mother is soooooo pro-breastfeeding. She breastfed her three children from 6 months to 2 years. However, my husband didn't care either way. However, now he looks at it as a great thing, but still finds formula feeding easier in a way. He can't believe the dedication it takes, so he respects that more now than ever. I breastfeed every where, and it doesn't bother him. He is very supportive and that is very important.
    Explain the health benefits to both baby and mom, financial benefits, and emotional. My husband is bonding with our son NOW more than ever...
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

I did not read all the previous responses but wanted to add something from our experiance. In the hospital we had trouble feeding, so i was given a supplemental feeder (tube attatched to a bottle of milk or formula) which you tape to your finger and they suck and feed that way. Until we introduce a bottle in a few weeks my DH uses the supplemental feeder so that he can still have that bonding. I just pump once every few days, and then he can take him occasionally and they get that extra bonding time. And once we introduce the bottle then he can help out and get that even more.

Also education is important, which I know lots of people said. We took a bf class and my DH came out of that even more geeked about it. So I think education and a discussion of how to still have that bonding and how you will both work on it should make the discussion go much easier good luck