Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue position

Default Tongue position

This is my 8th baby, so I am not new at this. However, my baby is. When my nipples were getting sore and began bleeding inspite of everything I was doing, I began looking for the reason and noticed that my 3 day old son, like one of my other children, does not place his tongue over his bottom gum when he is nursing. But, it has been long enough since I needed to fix it with my daughter that I no longer remember how. Can anyone remind me what the correct way is to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Default Re: Tongue position

Ouchy
    I guess the first thing I think of is to check for tongue-tie. Good luck, you must have your work cut out for you at the moment...
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

The doctor confirmed that he is not tongue tied. However th end of his tongue is rounded instead of pointed, making it more difficult. I remember that the fix was 2 part. The first having to do with using my finger to help pull his tongue forward and the second (amazingly enough) was a certain bottle nipple that forced him to pull it forward. But I don't remember more than this and this is not enough. Does this info help jog anyone else's memory?

I'm not sure about the bottles, but you might consider getting a second opinion on the tongue-tie. I brought my son to his pediatrician and they didn't see anything wrong with his tongue. Then I brought him to a pediatric surgeon that has been correcting tongue-tie for over 30 years (and is also a certified LC) and he did have tongue-tie. If the tongue tie is far back, a lot of physicians think that it doesn't effect BF or don't even recognize it as a form of tongue tie. It was only clipped a few days ago and my supply has already improved. It might be worth looking into.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

Hannah did not put her tongue over her bottom gum either. The LC suggested taht we do little exercises before each feeding, and DH or I would put a finger in her mouth, gently press down on her tongue and then pull the finger forward. We would do that 3-4 times before each feeding.

We got it. The bottle nipple was the Gerber (NUK) orthopedic nipple size 1 for newborns. It only took him 1 day's worth of feeding with that to learn to place his tongue forward. Since I was needing to use a pump to give me breast a day to heal it worked out well, and now we are nursing just fine. The finger idea was also correct, but this time the bottle nipple was faster.

Thanks for your help.