Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extremely engored, what can i do, PLZ help

Question extremely engored, what can i do, PLZ help

Hello everyone, i would love any input anyone has for me. I had my baby on May 5th, i was trying to breastfeed in the hospital as much as i could, but had to supplement with formula because i just didn't have enough AND i had a light complication with my C section, and they had to feed him the first day nothing but formula. When i got home, i was panicked that i was not making enough milk so i started drinking water and some juice non stop. Well needless to say it worked, but now i am extremely full, it happened like in one afternoon. My nipples are extremely engorged and hard, my baby can't latch on , so i get no help from him. I try to pump but also, no real help there either, it hurts too much to pump with them being so full. ANY ideas on what i can do PLZ?? i am losing hope and i am geting disappointed because i can't breastfeed my child

Default Re: extremely engored, what can i do, PLZ help

Did you try a heating pad or a warm shower with massage? I know what you're feeling! Unfortunately, the baby is much better than the pump.

Yes i sure have, i got a real warm cloth towel and put it over my breast and massaged it, i concentrated on the hard spot in my breast and it seemed to work but very minimally, i really do try to get my son to latch on but he really can't =/ then he gets frustrated and starts hollering, so i give in to the bottle, but even then i try to give as lil formula as i can, just to calm his appetite the i offer the breast again.

I posted on your other thread, MamiKika.

Hi, congrats on the baby.
    I had a son on the 3rd and was engored pretty bad a couple of days ago. i dont really have any advice but everything i read said to use cold to reduce engorment and heat only right before feedings to help give a better latch. That extended heat actually creates more engorment, so i've been avoiding hot showers. i read this on more than a few websites and used a cold pack on myself it seemed to work. was this info i got wrong? i'm very new to all of this myself.

Oh, it sounds like you've had a rough start, but please don't think you can't breastfeed your baby. These getting-started difficulties are really common, and many, many women go on to have a happy nursing relationship. You'll get through this if you can just persist and take it one feeding at a time.

The link on your other thread that explains Reverse Pressure Softening is definitely something to try. I also agree with Zoey that you should use cold to reduce swelling between feedings. You can also put a cabbage leaf in each bra cup for maybe an hour, just until the leaf wilts (don't overdo this, as too much can reduce your milk supply).

If your baby isn't nursing well yet, it is important that you still somehow move milk out of your breasts every 2-3 hours. The longer the milk sits in your breast, the less milk you'll make tomorrow. Every 2 hours, do the RPS technique and then try to latch the baby on to nurse. Hopefully that will do the trick and you'll see/hear good swallowing sounds when your milk lets down. If not, don't panic, but do pump or try hand expressing in a warm shower in order to move some milk out of each breast.

Check back here later and let us know how you're doing.

--Rebecca

Thanx everyone , i will definately try all of the advice i had a great breastfeeding experience with my first child and i would love to do it again =0)

I experienced severe engorgement with my dd--and I waited long enough and got really cracked nipples and ended up with mastitis. The lc I talked to told me it was unlikely that it was mastitis that early in the game so I just kept on doing what they told me for engorgement and it got so bad that I have a severely depleted supply on the side I got mastitis. The symptoms are red streaks on your breast, hot spots on your breasts and other flu-like symptoms. I am not suggesting that you have mastitis, but be on the lookout for it!

My left breast looked like a torpedo and felt like a brick wall. It is kinda funny to look back on but not funny at all while it was happening!!!! I am now going on my 6th month of breastfeeding, so it can work out.

Hand expressing worked for me, to soften the nipple and then I could usually pump to let off some of the pressure. I just hand expressed in the shower or in the sink. Or all over the floor if I had just had it. We ended up giving dd a bottle of formuly and then expressed milk for 4 days, until I realized it was more than engorgement and headed the 100 miles to the dr. And of course, she didn't want the breast after that (she has always been one for immediate gratification). I talked to a LC and she suggested a nipple shield, after trying to get dd latched on for 20 hours unsuccessfully (during which we never gave a bottle, yikes). But it worked and we got her to latch on to the shield and that started on our road to recovery. After about 6 weeks of that we started weaning off the shield and here we are today.

I got her to latch on the go--cradle hold in my arms moving around the house, shirtless with my husband using a syringe with expressed bm to fill the shield to give her a taste and get her to thinking she was getting it from me. My mom and stepdad looked on laughing and we were all really stressed out but what can you do but laugh at (with--I laughed too, amidst the crying) a mother so determined to breastfeed her baby that she has lost all modesty? And my boobs literally looked like torpedos--I almost wished I had gotten a picture.

And I had a c-section too, so I know it can be difficult to do some of these things, but it can be done and with persistence pay off. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Well luckily i have no red streaks or hot spots on my brests, just a hard spot on the left side of my left breast. I have been massaging my breast before each pumping and it seems to work to relieve some pain, but my nipple is still very hard, too hard for him to latch on properly and suckle.

My right breast just right thankfully. Altho any info on this lil problem i have would be very helpful. He latches on and starts sucking, and i am pretty sure he is getting milk because it's leaking out as he latches on(he has a bit of trouble latching on tho) , he sucks for like 5 seconds then lets go, and then he gets upset beacause he can't relatch. Wish it was as easy as my first child to breastfeed *sigh* But ty for all the info and Epbrown, your story gives me a lot of hope

It's possible your baby has nipple confusion from being introduced to a bottle before the breast as the suckling motion for extracting milk is diffierent for each. I experienced this when trying to put one of my children back on breast milk several months after a major surgery. This could contribute to engorgement experienced when milk supply comes in as it would be difficult for baby to nurce properly using the method that works for extracting milk from a bottle. A LL mentor can suggest several ways to overcome this and I'll bet theres some good articles here on site.

The bottom line is that the bottle may be the real problem. Not that bottles in themselves are bad, but until a good feeding routine is established and a baby develops competence in nurcing, the bottle can threaten that relationship. It's also easier for baby to extract milk from a bottle, so if they get used to one, breastfeeding can be frustrating for them.

As for the engorgement, I've had the best luck with hand expressing enough milk to relieve the pain and get the milk going while standing in a hot shower. I think massage really helps unclog a duct. I use a hot water bottle when threatened with mastitis- a clogged duct can turn into that rather quickly. I have heard of using cold compresses for slowing the flow of milk, which I suspect is not what you want to do if you are planning on breastfeeding. Not sure about that - worth researching.

Congrats on your NEW BABY and best wishes with getting this worked out soon.

Dedra