Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: zantac for reflux - DD straining evry hour for poop

Default zantac for reflux - DD straining evry hour for poop

Hi ,
    I'm desperate for help.My 3.5old DD is on zantac for a week for reflux.After 2 days giving zantac I see she is starining most of the time continuosly although there is no poop.She generally has a bowel movement once in 3-4 days.Has some heard where zantac may cause such thing.

TIA
    Mangai

Default Re: zantac for reflux - DD straining evry hour for poop

Yes, I think it's common for some of the reflux meds to cause hard stools. Also rice cereal can cause constipation in addition to the meds. My DD is on prilosec and so far has not been constipated. You may want to try a different med. Prilosec has always worked best with my Lo's. It can be flavored at the pharmacy so it goes down easier than Zantac too. Hope this helps!

Hello there! I know you just replied to my thread on poopy problems we were having. I have noticed that the zantac has made her more gassy (why don't they ever list those sorts of things as side effects?) but she did finally poop yesterday, and she was obviously not constipated because it was totally not formed at all...it was just like paste. I guess I don't know if zantac can cause constipation or not...maybe your little one is dealing with extra gas like mine has been?

I second the thought on switching meds. The little guy that I watch every day used to take Prevacid (i think, know it began with a P) for babies and had no problems with constipation.

Thanks for those who responded.I went to doc and they asked me to stop zantac.I felt very terrible for past 2 days.Now they asked me to put her on prilosec.I heard Prilosec is very strong when compared to zantac and also I read in internet that they are acid blocker while zantac is acid breaker.

Is'nt there is anyone other way to cure reflux other than giving medication.
    I feel I need to work more if i give medication because I have to deal with the side effects of the medication also.Reflux has spoiled all our BFing happiness.

Does anybody know any other way of treating reflex ?

I have read about the tucker sling. It basically just puts them at the right angle to sleep using a wedge and a sling to keep them up. I think the website is tuckerdesigns.com. I am going to call my insurance company becuase the sales person told me that some insurance will cover the cost. It wont help with the daytime fussiness but it uses gravity to help instead of meds. You may want to check it out!

Oh darn, I have heard of a different one but I cannot remember the name. Dr. Sears talks about it in his The baby Book and recommends it as an option to help with reflux. But unfortunately medication is often needed to prevent any esophageal damage from happening.

The good news is that it is often a very short treatment. Often babies outgrow it while they are still very young. Like I said in my other post, the little guy that I watch has now very successfully stopped using all of his medications and has had no problems (has been several weeks). He started when he was a little over 2 months and took it for about 2.5 months. He really truely needed it for the time being but now is happy as a clam.

Just make sure that you are doing things like keeping her at an angle or upright for 30 minutes after feeding, not jostling her too much shortly after eating, etc and that will help too. But breastmilk is great esp for babies with reflux so make sure you keep that up

Ah ha!!! Found it on his website. Called an Amby Baby and it is like a hammock that keeps the baby cuddled while at a good angle and is soft, can pull up to the bed to be next to you. Man, if I had know about them earlier I would have recommended it to Connors mom.