Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant nursing?

Default Constant nursing?

I am wondering if it is normal (what is normal?) for a 5 week old baby to want to nurse for hours on end? We have him on Zantac for silent reflux and it seems to be helping a lot with keeping him from being in pain and screaming for hours and hours straight.

However, my sister in law was over yesterday and observed that she thinks Aaron is asking to eat more than I'm feeding him (feeding cues etc). I have been afraid to feed him too often because he was "refluxing it back up" but now with medicine, I thought I'd try feeding him more again.

So, last night I gave him both breasts and he drank from both of them for 15 minutes each! The same in the middle of the night twice and then today... he nursed for 3 hours straight!

is there still milk in breasts after being nursed on for that long? Is it ok to nurse him that long? How do I know when to stop? He was swallowing milk, I could hear it!

Thanks!

Wendy

Default Re: Constant nursing?

I should add- my locak LLL person said that when the baby is crying, offer him the breast as the first option. So, with reflux, I have been scared to do that, but now that he seems better, should I go back to that advice? I am really upset to think that I might have been robbing my child of food - I was just trying to give him time to digest before the next feeding (2-3 hours) but this morning it was just constant!

Let him suck as long as he wants to. The breast is self replenishing, there's always something there, at the end the flow is slower but you bet there's something coming out! As for about been afraid of feeding him too often b/c of his reflux, I think is the other way around, the acid in the stomach gets worst when it's empty or when something it's been for too long in his tummy like formula which is take longer for the tummy to digest. But I'm not a 100% sure, I've to do some research on that. My baby had reflux the first few months. So go ahead and let him take charge .

I found it! Sucking at the breast triggers peristaltic waves along the gastrointestinal tract: these muscular contractions help to move the milk down into the stomach and on to the small intestine. Also, human milk digest more completely and almost twice as fast as formula. The less time the milk spends in the stomach, the less opportunity there is for it to acidify before backing up in to the esophagus. Don't ask me what's peristaltic, cuz I got no clue! If anybody knows, please let me know .