Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still having issues..she's 9 weeks now HELP!!!

Default Still having issues..she's 9 weeks now HELP!!!

Someone just said maybe my milk is not very good quality and maybe I should supplement. I have never heard of this, but could that be what it is? She is nine weeks now and still wants to nurse all the time. She will let me take her off for MAYBE a half am hour and this is not very often. She has been doing this for a little over 3 weeks now.

I was planning on going to a meeting on monday but found out the location is even farther away than I thought. The closest is a minimum of 2 hours away. I am so frustrated. The nurse that helped me in the hospital didn't know very much. So I don't want to ask questions there.

I do know she is using me for a pacifier...but then I don't know when she is hungry if I don't have her latched on. I REALLY need help, but I live out in the sticks and not close to anyone.

Anyone have any advice it would really help.

Kandise

Default Re: Still having issues..she's 9 weeks now HELP!!!

Sweetie, your milk is not good quality, is the BEST quality, there's nothing better than BM, so there's no need to supplement. Sometimes you feel like the baby is on you 24/7, and she probably is, as you spend more time in this forum you'll find a lot of mom going through the same, but it does get better. And yes she's using you as a pacifier, but she's still a newborn and she feels more secure been close to you. Also remember BM get digested fairly quickly therefore the need to eat so often. Nurse on demand, that's the best thing to do, I know it can get kind of frustrating but it will get better. Here you'll find the support you need!

That is very normal for BF babies that age, they still don't realize that you and her are different people, and when she is close she wants to suckle, you are her best comfort. I remember DD being like that, now she finishes in about 5 min (unless she is comfort nursing). It will change soon enough, usually around 3 months they seem to realize you and her are seperate people and she will start becoming more interested in the world around her and spend more time studying it and less nursing. You are doing a great job and you milk is 1000% better quality than any supplement could be, more than likely the person who said that to you simply doesn't have a clue as to what they are talking about. It still amazes me that instead of admitting they don't know anything about something people will give an uneducated uninformed answer. When DD used me as her paci so many people said she wasn't getting enough milk or my milk must not be good, I simply put on my raincoat and let the downpour of misinformation run off. I think it is so sad that we live in a society that is so promentately formula fed that there is such a lack of general knowledge about brestfeeding. Keep up the great work mama!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

When Justice was that age he was at the breast every hour for a long time. He piled on the pounds as well. Like the others said, your milk is the best and there is no problem there. This time will pass and just enjoy the closeness for the time being. I miss that time with Justice. He is barely on 5 min. before he wants down to go. Stick with it, it is so worth it!

Thank you for the quick responses. Her doctor even told me I shouldn't let her use me for a pacifier because she is getting what she wants. I think I want a new doctor. I just feel bad when i take her to visit my family because she doesn't like to be away from me. They wanna hold her too. It really does help talking to ppl who have been there. No one here knows what to tell me or they tell me to supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaehsmommy
    Her doctor even told me I shouldn't let her use me for a pacifier because she is getting what she wants.
    What's wrong with giving the baby what they want! We're here for them, if we don't take care of them, who will? Why does people think that we can bring babies to this world just to feed them and change the diaper and then put them on a crib and forget about them!! Do you see a dog doing that to their puppies, sometimes I think humans are the not-thinking mammals. And then we wonder how people can be so careless and insensitive! We raise them that way!! Oh well, just venting. Babies need to be loved and cared in order for them to grow up and do the same, they're helpless and they need us. Babies don't do their stuff in order to pissed off and bother us purposely, common they're babies they don't know what's going on!
    Good for you on wanting to changes doctors. God forbid we want to love and make our kids happy!
    Take care girl, we're here for you !

You've gotten great information from PP's, I just wanted to send some further support. I agree, you're doing a great job, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with your milk. There is no such thing as just not having quality milk. And, as long as baby has plenty of wet and dirty diapers and is gaining appropriately, you know she's getting enough. Soon she will be old enough to want to do other things besides nurse. In the meantime, have you tried nursing in a sling? I never learned how, and regretted it. I know many mothers who are able to nurse hands free with baby in a sling. This way they don't have to be stuck in a chair all day. They go for walks, do housework, visit friends, eat, etc. all while baby is nursing away. Many of the slings come with instructional videos to show how to use them in different positions, including to nurse. Hang in there--it will get better!

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn
    It still amazes me that instead of admitting they don't know anything about something people will give an uneducated uninformed answer.
    I'm sorry, but I have to play the devils advocate here, because some people honestly don't know any better and truly feel that their "advice" is good advice. There is no need to be a breastfeeding snob, as if all well-meaners are ignorant insensitive people. This is not directed toward any one person, but statements like this make me sad. It frustrates the heck out of me when people offer unwanted advice, don't get me wrong, but because they're wrong in the advice they offer doesn't make them bad, it just makes them uneducated.

A friend of mine had a horrible emergency c-section (at 32 weeks), and for various reasons ended up formula feeding. She tells me ALL THE TIME how she was looked down on and treated differently by breastfeeding mothers. I don't want to be like those people, and it is because of her that I prefer to educate people rather then snub my nose at them.

Yup, I've heard some pretty incredulous things. Yup, I've shook my head at some of the "advice" I've received. But not every person is doing this in a blatant disregard for the truth. Education is the best tool you can use to make your point, but please, keep in mind that some people honestly don't know any better.

And as for your doctor telling you not to use you as a pacifier? I changed pediatricians when my doctor told me not to let my 8 day old baby "train" me. Yup, you heard me right. He told me that no baby has died from crying, and that if I didn't want her to train me that I ought to let her cry so I can get some sleep!! There is nothing wrong with letting your baby suckle when she's not hungry. Nothing at all.

(Edited for clarification.)
    Last edited by North_Of_60; May 12th, 2006 at 09:17 PM.