Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing Bottle?

Default Introducing Bottle?

I was wondering when is a good time to introduce bottles to avoid nipple confusion.

Default Re: Introducing Bottle?

Hi Zoey,

We waited until around four weeks and then paid more attention to consistently introducing a bottle at 6 weeks since I knew I'd be going back to work at 8 weeks. I hope that helps a bit!

We started at 5 weeks very slowly--one bottle a day or every other day for a week, then 2 for a week. She only gets 2 most days and very rarely 3. Make sure you get a slow flow nipple (we initially liked the avent stage 1 nipples, then dd refused those and we went to the playtex nurser stage 1 nipples). And dd won't take a bottle from me...only from dh or sitter or someone and onoly if I am out of the room!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

lol man i dont know if i can hold out 4 weeks. DS is 1 week old and i wanna turn to the bottle for some support. or sleep rather. hes wants to feed every hour and i'm very tired, while hubby gets to sleep constantly.
    i had planed to use dr brown's bottles so whatever the 1st level nipple is for that. is that a decent nipple to use?

The first few weeks are really rough, but it does get easier. I promise. Try to nap when DS naps, if that's possible - I know it's not long enough. You might also find co-sleeping to be a help. That way you can nurse and sleep at the same time.

Just make sure you use a stage 1 nipple. The brand you use is largely up to DS. Despite our plans, they can be particularly picky. So if DS doesn't take to the Dr. Brown's nipples, try another brand.

Hang in there!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)